Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Stage Design Trials - New Mapping Contest!

Level

Amateur Stage Design Trials - New Mapping Contest!

SPOOKY 2013- LINK

Here they are! I can't say I'm disappointed with the turnout at all. Four maps, each of them with some obvious time and thought put into them. They're all similar enough in design as to not warrant the different divisions discussed earlier, so there will only be one line of voting.

Here's how the audience choice works:

Make a post in this thread, giving your first favorite, second favorite, and third favorite map. Try to give a basic sentence or two, justifying what you liked about each map that merited it as your favorite.You must play the level in its intended gametype, or your votes risk disqualification.

A few voting and playing guidelines

The theme this time is “spooky or scary”. This is the most important thing to pay attention to, whether a map follows this theme, and how well it does that. Keep in mind that spooky/scary is open to a wide variety of interpretations, and people have different levels of tolerance for horror. So if you’re a fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and navigate the dark corridors of mansions like it’s your everyday job, don’t be condemning everything to un-scariness because it couldn’t pierce your hardened shell. If you think it might be best to get the full effect, turn the light off and play in a dark room by yourself.

If you need some standards by which to judge what determines something as scary, you can find some of the “scary standards” from a previous ASDT post at the bottom of this section.

Here are the three different elements of level design that you should consider when writing your reviews and advice.

Theme: The core focus of this contest is on the theme of spookiness, so it has to at least be spooky or unsettling in some way. Obviously this isn’t something we can draw a concrete line on, so we’ll just do our best. Do they have a proper grasp on what makes a theme scary, even if they may not have presented it in the best way?

Presentation: How well did the designer present their ideas? Do they use them to their full potential, or did they botch up the execution with some bad design choices? Do the visual and audio assets compliment the theme?

Engagement: Does the map actively let you feel as if your actions really matter in surviving the horrors of the map, or is it just jump scares thrown in at random? Does the level challenge you to use your wits to overcome an obstacle of some sort, or is it just a straight path through scenery? Basically, is it a game level or a movie scene?

Scary Standards
    Spooky is what your average Halloween decorations are about. Spooky skeletons with rattling bones, ghosts that say "boo!" and cackling witches with bubbling brews. All in all, it's actually more of a humorous and lighthearted thing, something that pokes fun at all the death and evil around us. "Look around you!" it says. "Look at how foolish it all is! Do you really think it could just reach out and hurt you?" Despite the fact that it doesn't actually frighten anyone but the children (who are still learning boundaries of safety vs. danger), we often consider things like this "scary" or at least "spooky". I know it's been posted a lot in this thread, because it's so humorous, but I just have to do it again. As funny as the song may sound, the lyrics pretty much say exactly what I'm saying. "ooOOooOO Spooky scary skeletons will shock your soul (it's a joke, how silly these skeleton monsters we've created are)"

Even though it may not be legitimately frightening or un-nerving, the judges will definitely have to keep this in mind while they judge the levels.

The second type of scary is no joke at all. It's the kind of scary that things like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or Silent Hill, embrace. Pure horror. Somehow they tap into the very things that human beings dread the most. It gets your heart pumping, your adrenaline rushing, and if you weren't when you started, you'll be fully awake and alert by the time it ends. But what exactly are the things that cause this kind of "scare"? Here's a few ideas I have on it:
    Unexplainable events. Things that exceed your expectations of what something is capable of. Anyone remember the shocking way Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid played mind games like changing your TV channel, reading your mind, and moving your controller? If something exceeds the players expectation of what is possible, it puts them on the edge.

Unseen dangers. Let's face it. The imagination can concoct a being way more terrifying and foreboding than the pixels of a screen can actually represent. One of the worst ways you can ruin a scare is by revealing your monster before its time. If it even has a time to be revealed, that is. Footsteps in the hallway, scratchings from the other side of the wall, shadows across the doorway, unintelligible whispers, each of these things, even when somewhat EXPECTED, are much scarier than an unexpected monster who jumps out of the closet at you.

Unpredictable or erratic behavior. No place to hide. You can't predict where the monster will prowl next, but you do know this: if you stand still for long enough, it will eventually find you.

Now of course, each of these three things are often found together in proper horror, and mixed with all sorts of other elements. Things such as unnerving SFX and music, obscured vision, and any manner of visual tricks which fall somewhere into the uncanny valley.

A week from now, November 20th 2013, we'll call a deadline at about 1PM (UTC-08:00), and the average of the audience votes will be tallied up, and the winners announced. Have fun, and enjoy the experience.

---Contest Submission and Theme Info---

Hello one and all of the aspiring mappers of the SRB2 Community! This is something I have been thinking about doing for awhile, off and on, but just recently was able to make real with the help of some others. “What is this?” you may ask? I shall explain!

The Amateur Stage Design Trials are a series of new level design contests I am going to be hosting from time to time, allowing those of you looking to test your mapping skills in a competitive way, to do so once more! But with this rebirth, comes new concepts and plans, and with the help of Whackjood, Blade, Charybdizs, and Sryder13, we have come up with some interesting ideas for this contest series!

-Interesting Contest Themes!: Each of these contests will have a special theme and goal to reach, much like the old Week of SRB2, which was started by STH218. The difference, is that we plan on doing much more than simple themes like “make a grassy level” or “make a factory level.” We plan on giving the participants challenges based on many of the different elements of proper level design.

-Your Levels In The Spotlight!: Winning levels, in addition to the “Community Choice” levels, will be featured in the “Best Of” pack, which will contain the best levels from all previous Trials, compiled together for easy and enjoyable playing. In addition, the authors of the winning level will be able to play a part in selecting the theme for the next contest! As the contest grows, more ideas may be thought up. too!

-Dependable and Expert Judging System!: In a contest like this, it’s important to preserve the integrity of the end results. As such, we are selecting some of the finest judges and mappers of the community, to make up a panel of about ten to fifteen judges. The requirements? People who have a solid grasp on what differentiates a good level from a bad level, and are picky, but open minded to unexpected approaches at the chosen themes. But fear not, your voice can be heard too! Alongside the official judging, we will have an “Community Choice” winner, where you, as members of the Sonic Robo Blast 2 Message Board, can vote for your favorite map!

-Constructive Criticism!: For new level designers and old, this is the place to really put your skills to the test. We’ll not only give your level a score, but we’ll give detailed comments on your level, aiming to help you sharpen and improve your level designing prowess. Everyone starts somewhere, and we keep that in mind. After all, the contest, isn’t about us, but it is about you, wherever you are in level design.

-Divisions!: The old contest was normally flooded out with the higher ranked mappers taking the contest by a swarm, to fix this we are creating divisions, Beginner and Advanced. The Beginner division is for those who are new to mapping to get useful feed back on their levels and help them get better, while Advanced is for the experienced mappers who are looking for a challenge among the other skilled mappers!

Now, with that stuff being said, I shall explain the rules of entering this contest, and what the theme shall be!

Rules/Theme:

Theme: As it is approaching the fall years, and Halloween accordingly, we are adopting a simple seasonal theme for our first contest. Here’s the official theme:

Design a level with the sole purpose of scaring the player. Anything goes, as long it is in good taste. No exploding babies, gorey torture scenes, or stuff in that spirit.

Game Type: To kick off this contest series, we will start off with the most versatile of maps, Single Player! Please make all entries compatible with this gametype.

Rules:
    -Keep it safe
    , as stated above. Grimdark ideas are allowed, but remember that younger players are here, and their parents may not like to see a alien burst out of someone with a fountain of blood. No gratuitous violence.
    -All levels must be PMed to CoatRack before November 12th 2013 at 3PM (UTC-08:00). Late entries will not be included, so please try to be on time!
    -Game Type. Along with the theme, we are also selecting a game type. So make sure your entries match the theme listed above, or else they will not be allowed in!
    -Custom Content, We will be allowing you to add custom content, such as music, textures, SOCs, and sprites. You can also build maps for other exes, just make sure to add what exe it uses in your submission message!
    -Make sure you enter the correct division! That means that the highly skilled mappers enter the advanced division, and the new mappers enter the beginners!
    Chaos Domain's website.(now 20% cooler!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
    Hold on to your hooves, I am just about to be brilliant!

Level
    Would demons and stuff from DOOM be acceptable..?

CoatRack is offline The only sane insane knight!
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Level
    Those should be fine, as long as it is in good taste.

Level
    I DO have a map (West Crisis if anyone even remembers that piece of crap), but I'm probably not going to attempt another one cause I have no ideas and I'm bloody awful at making maps since I don't know any of the fancy moving doors or all those doodads.

Husbando to a special kitty~♥

Level
    Hey, there's no better way to learn that to try!

Level
    I'm definitely doing this, I was planning on doing a halloween themed level anyway, I think since this is my first contest I might belong in the beginners section depending on my competition. I hope LJ enters this too, I would love to see him compete against some other advanced mappers.

P.S. Thank you so much for putting this on Skybase!

Level
    You're welcome, but this thing isn't only going to be hosted here, it's also on the SRB2 Message Boards. The votes posted there and here will be added together, and the result will be shown in both places.

Level
    I know, I should have said it in better context; thank you for including Skybase alongside the MB for this event.
    Also, should we post our entries on the MB as well, or will posting them on Skybase be good enough?

Level
    Well, entries should be sent to me via PM here, or the SRB2MB, you can send them in from both, just make sure you mention that in the submission that you also sent it in via the other MB.

Level
    By the time I even re-learn everything, the even will be over. @.@'

Husbando to a special kitty~♥

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast