Thread: The Blocks Builder by Ors and LJ Sonic

1. The Blocks Builder by Ors and LJ Sonic Details »

The Blocks Builder by Ors and LJ Sonic

Developer Last Online: Sep 2016
      SRB2 Version: v2.1.x   Rating: 
      Submitted: April 20th, 2014  
      WAD File Contains Lua Level(s)

Presentation:
      Thanks to Lua, I highly improved the in-game editor possibilities: aside from many drastic technical improvements, I added a Direct Build feature, that allows you adding / removing blocks directly in the building slot.
      You just have to aim a place, then pressing the Custom Action 1 or Toss Flag key for adding, or the Custom Action 2 key for removing, just like in Minecraft
      Note that you can hold the key down to add / remove several blocks quikly.

To choose which kind of block you wanna add, you use the Custom Action 3 button. It'll switch to next block type.
      You can equally do that by using a console command: "b <type>", where type is a number that indicates the type of block you need. Examples:
      "b 2" will make you adding blocks of type 2.
      "b 6" will make you adding blocks of type 6.
      "b 0" would make you removing blocks, but is useless since you can just do it by pressing the key when you have a block ahead of you.

You can easily float up / down by spinning while jumping, then using the Jump / Spin buttons like in Spectate Mode. Walk on the ground to back to normal moving.

Tips:
      -I suggest you using your mouse button to place a block, it's really helpful (in other terms, set a mouse button to Custom Action 1 or Toss Flag)
      -If you have problems with placing / removing blocks, try moving a bit, most of the time this is due to the fact that you can't place blocks if you have any part of your character being where the block gonna be created. Remember equally that you cannot place blocks above you, or above any other player in the game, and that you can't remove the block you are standing on.

This wad currently features two maps specially made for the Blocks Builder (MAP01 and MAP04), and the two maps created by Ors that included in-game editor for 2.0.7, upgraded with the script (MAP02 for Co-op / MAP03 for CTF).
      The first and fourth maps (MAP01 and MAP04) feature a 16 x 16 x 16 Blocks Builder that can handle 7 different types of blocks (using "b" command).

This is actually a beta, more blocks builders with various themes / dimensions are coming: probably a CEZ-themed CTF where players can build a tower to protect their flag, an ACZ-themed level, and more...

Controls:
      Building:
      -Custom Action 1 / Toss Flag: add a block
      -Custom Action 2: remove a block
      -Custom Action 3: switch blocks type

Flying:
      -Jump + Spin: Active air floating
      -Jump: raise
      -Spin: sink

Console commands:
      -"block <type>" / "b <type>": select the block you wanna place
      -"fill <x1> <y1> <z1> <x2> <y2> <z2> <type> <blocksbuilder>": fill in a section of the Blocks Builder with blocks of type <type>. If there are more than one Block Builder, set <blocksbuilder> which is the number of the Blocks Builder affected by the command. Don't work if there is any player in the building slot.

Console variables:
      -"floating": enable / disable flying
      -"aimbuild": alternate between old / new building way.
      -"buildingdistance": set the max distance for adding / removing blocks
      -"aimbuildprecision": lower it to increase aimbuild precision. 4 is fine.

Credits:
      -Main idea: Ors (i.e: making a 3d in-game editor)
      -Script: LJ Sonik
      -Maps:
      -The Block Builder: LJ Sonik
      -The Monument Builder: Ors
      -Build the Flag: Ors
      -The Factory: the cyan
      Permission:
      You may use this script in your own mods and even modify it without asking permission to Ors or LJ Sonik, however you have to give credits (Ors for main idea, LJ Sonik for scripting). This includes the header of the script (the first seven lines) which may not be removed or modified.

Link: http://www.4shared.com/rar/kDK4iA2Ab...Builder3D.html

Downloads

Additional Notes

• Please be mindful of using other people's works. If the modification is not marked as "Re-usable Content", ask the developer for permission before using their work in your mod.

Level
    This is incredibly impressive. Do you want this moved to Levels? This seems quite complete enough to be released fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRB2
    <Mystyc Cheez> I ****ING QUIT
    Mystyc Cheez left the game
    <~Sky> Am I too awesome or something?
    <X\Wind> Why is everyone on red...
    <X\Wind> Is Sky that awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam
    20:48 - Sky: one does not simply ban him
    20:49 - Wind: we must gather the chaos emeralds and blast him

Level
    Thank you !
    But I'm still hesitating about moving this to levels now, because there'll be many updates with more features, like Float Up/Down (thank you Farouk the Hedgehog), more maps with various themes, an easier way to change blocks type, and I may eventually try fixing some issues with resynch in netgames.
    By the way, the essential interest of this wad isn't the maps themselves, but the script, so do you think I could release this wad in Levels and release separately the script in Miscellaneous ?
    I like making Lua scripts and mapping for srb2. Don't hesitate with asking help from me !
    Recent project:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ Sonic View Post
    Thank you !
    But I'm still hesitating about moving this to levels now, because there'll be many updates with more features, like Float Up/Down (thank you Farouk the Hedgehog), more maps with various themes, an easier way to change blocks type, and I may eventually try fixing some issues with resynch in netgames.
    By the way, the essential interest of this wad isn't the maps themselves, but the script, so do you think I could release this wad in Levels and release separately the script in Miscellaneous ?
    Resynchs issues are unfixable, Lua always do that when the script is too big.
    Steam ID: Nymphali Festif | SRB2 Nickname: Lat' | Skype: superrainboom
    > "I'm a boy. What? You're laughing? ...Bitches, please, I'M FABULOUS! "

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ Sonic View Post
    If the script can function as a standalone mod, then yes, you can.

Level
    Not exactly, but I made it with the purpose of being easily reusable in any map by just creating FOFs for blocks, then calling a single Lua function on level load that creates a Blocks Builder thinker depending on some parameters like the size and the amount of available blocks.
    That's why I say the maps are not really important: it is just a support for the script, it's a signifiantless part of the work.
    I like making Lua scripts and mapping for srb2. Don't hesitate with asking help from me !
    Recent project:

Level
    I see. I'll accept the script as a standalone release if you do happen to release it.

Level
    Updated !

-Now you can float up / down by spinning while jumping, then acting like in Spectate Mode. Walk on ground to back to normal moving.
    -You no longer need the console to switch between various types of blocks. Just use the Custom Action 3 key.
    -The internal stucture has been changed: now the datas are stored in a mobj. That could possibly make netgames more stable.
    -Cyan sonic has started a techno-themed map for the Blocks Builder. Even if the map is currently a beta, I included it in the wad.
    Recent project: