PDA

View Full Version : Floral Cavern Zone 1

cyan sonic
August 11th, 2013, 13:25
Just a short level i made for fun.
Please leave a lot of criticsm i want to improve my mapping skills.
link:http://www.sendspace.com/file/a50b4l

FINAL DEMO LINK :SendSpace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v9b87t
MediaFire:http://www.mediafire.com/download/559n1j6ncpo1sbm/floralcavernzone1.wad
If you want some change it's the last chance.

Critical Dude
August 11th, 2013, 14:06
Question(s):
-Is this WIP? (Work-in-progress)
-Is this supposed to be a 'easy beginning level'?

Review:
-I like the scenery that is used in the level (although it feels like an extension of GFZ), you seem to have used the decorations cleanly meaning that the decorations don't look out of place or look too cluttered in the map.
-Some parts of the level design are good in terms of structure however the item placement isn't so good: at the start of the level there are too many item boxes/powerups for the player. These should be spaced out in the map so you should place them sparingly in either hidden locations or areas where there's a "risk and reward setup" (it would be best if you use the hidden locations idea as this looks like a beginning level). Also it's probably best if you don't use the speed-up powerup as the level is small and there is hardly any space to run at full-speed.
-Carrying on from the previous point about the level being too small and narrow, maybe you should expand the size of the whole map or certain small areas (sectors) in the map.
-The level felt really short in my opinion, in fact I would even go as far to say that it is shorter than GFZ1 (especially when playing as Tails). It would look better (in-game) if it lasted at least 00:01:20 (one minute and twenty seconds).
-The platforming wasn't bad for this map but again it felt a bit "closed in" for the player; you can hardly thok properly in-game.

cyan sonic
August 13th, 2013, 23:45
Thanks for the ideas TSDude.
I will make the level longer and try to hide the item boxes (maybe i will use the super sneakers in a new section). I will do a update soon and release it with the second and the third act.

- - - - - - - - - -

I already start expanding the map and i also do some minor change including: adding more enemies and changing the place of some monitors. I also change the waterfall texture from GFALL1 to CFALL1 that make it look better:

Critical Dude
August 14th, 2013, 12:18
Nice I saw it on mb, and yes the CFALL1 should look better with this. All I can say now is keep up the good work.

cyan sonic
August 14th, 2013, 14:08
Thanks!
Here is a screen of the level continuation:

TaskBarR
August 14th, 2013, 18:15
Don't forget to post this in the 'Submissions' section when it is finished, I'll moderate it and post if it qualifies. :D
This looks pretty good so far, I can't wait to see the finished version!

cyan sonic
August 14th, 2013, 20:49
I FINISHED THE LEVEL. But before putting it in the submission section i want the people to test it maybe they will find something wrong or want some change:
So see the first post to download the Final demo.

Critical Dude
August 14th, 2013, 23:09
Sorry but the link doesn't seem to work for me.

TaskBarR
August 14th, 2013, 23:23
I'll test it later, I'm a bit busy though.
You can go ahead and submit the level if you want to, just as long as it follows the submission rules.

cyan sonic
August 15th, 2013, 09:29
I will try to fix that TSDude.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ok Rex The Fox but before that i want to do some minor changes.

Critical Dude
August 15th, 2013, 10:32
Unfortunately the link still doesn't work for me.

cyan sonic
August 15th, 2013, 13:07
TSDude try the mediafire link. See the first post.

KitsuneFreak
August 22nd, 2013, 00:25
I would test this out, but I don't play srb2 as much so I'll test it out of boredom.