PDA

View Full Version : Rex's Sonic Lost World Review! (Wii U)

TaskBarR
November 9th, 2013, 18:16
This is my full, honest review of Sonic Lost World. I am not influenced by anyone else's opinion, and this truly what I think of the game. Thank you.

Recently, I got the chance to pick up the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World. I would have gotten it at launch if I had money. I am genuinely impressed and a bit disappointed in the game, and here's why:

STORY - 6/10

You know the drill, Eggman tries to tame some monster/mythical beast and it turns on him. The Deadly Six, in this case, are under Eggman's control, however, they rebel against him and begin sucking the life out of Mobius in order to gain more power. I have no idea why they would do this, I'm just guessing they're a bunch of pricks. The end. Overall, the story is okay, but there were quite a few things I wasn't expecting! I won't spoil it for you.

GRAPHICS - 9/10

Sonic Lost World uses the Wii U's graphic engine and takes it to the max. You really CANNOT just watch a YouTube video of this game and then judge the graphics. You have to truly play it to appreciate how the graphics look. The models are spot on, but do look a bit funny at times.

GAMEPLAY - 7/10

I found the gameplay to be very complicated but fun at times. Sonic now can use parkour moves to climb up walls, run sideways, homing kick, and much more. Sonic does not run full speed in this game, you have to hold the ZR button to put Sonic at a running pace in this game. People may not like this feature, but I like it, because you can move Sonic as fast as you want to. The levels in this game are easy at first, but then get harder near the 4th-5th zone. Each level has it's own 'thing' that makes it unique. For instance: Tropical Coast 2, it has giant fruit you must roll into fans to progress.

The bosses in this game can either be easy or hard, it just depends on how good at the game you are. Watch out for Zavok's battles though, he's a toughie!

MUSIC - 8/10

Sweet mama! What is that beautiful thing flowing through my ears?!
Oh, it's just Sonic Lost World's full orchestrated BOUSE soundtrack!

DEBUNKING FALSE FACTS

Okay, I've noticed people complaining about Sonic Lost World for several reasons. I'm here to debunk them, right here right now.

SONIC DOES NOT GO FAST-

Sonic DOES go fast, you just have to hold the ZR button when you want to speed up. Sonic can also spindash AND bounce AND charge run.

THIS GAME IS A MARIO GALAXY RIPOFF-

This is wrong for several reasons.
1. Sonic does not just run on spheres, like Mario Galaxy. There is cylinder, regular 3D, 2D, and just plain WEIRD shaped levels as well.
2. Does Mario Galaxy have missions? Didn't think so.
3. The gameplay is EXTREMELY different, and Sonic Lost World doesn't even resemble Mario Galaxy.

THE LEVELS ARE TOO SHORT-

At E3 and several other conventions, it appeared as if Sonic Lost World's levels were too short. This is because they were in progress at the time. There were several times in the game where I was wondering if I was even in the same level, because some of them are pretty lengthy.

TAILS IS USELESS-

Tails is far from useless in this game. You can use his RC gadgets by hooking up another controller, and they are VERY useful. In the plot, Tails also does something very important at the very end of the game, but I won't spoil it.

If anything, Knuckles and Amy are useless. "GA-DOY WE'LL JUST STAY HERE WHILE YOU DO THE WORK SANIC"

That's enough for now, here's my final rating of the game:

OVERALL - 8/10

Sonic Lost World isn't perfect, but that does not mean it's a bad game! I thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Lost World, and the difficulty is spot on! There were some levels where I was challenged. Don't let other reviewers influence how you feel about this game. (Like IGN right? Terrible review) You really need to buy it and play it for yourself to see if YOU like it or not.

I have no idea how the 3DS version is, though. I hear it's pretty cool!

Demnyx Onyxfur
November 9th, 2013, 21:41
Oh my god I love this game so much~ The red rings later on were HELL for me, though. But Super Sonic is worth the effort.

Sky
November 10th, 2013, 00:22
What's your opinion on the story's general tone? Did it seem to be meant for little 6 year old kids like TTA and STC and now that new member have been saying?

TaskBarR
November 10th, 2013, 03:13
The tone of the story was definately not for 'little kids'. There are some very dark things in the plot, and characters die, like the Deadly Six. The Deadly Six actually use some pretty furious language too. And Zor is an emo kid who is obsessing about death's embrace when you fight him.

Here are some lines from the game:

Zazz: YOU'RE GOING HOME IN A BOX!
Zeena: Make me cry, you RUINED MY MAKEUP!
Zor: The reaper is the real winner in the end.
Zavok: You have to die now, interfering little hedgehog!
Eggman: There will be SOME collateral damage.

Zhire'El
November 10th, 2013, 03:42
Your score would actually be a 7.5, pretty good review I guess.

TaskBarR
November 10th, 2013, 04:19
Thanks STC!

I was replaying some Sky Road levels for Red Rings, and I noticed how hard they actually are! I wasted 30 lives on Sky Road in my first run.

Phantom-Blade
November 19th, 2013, 08:32
The tone of the story was definately not for 'little kids'. There are some very dark things in the plot, and characters die, like the Deadly Six. The Deadly Six actually use some pretty furious language too. And Zor is an emo kid who is obsessing about death's embrace when you fight him.

Here are some lines from the game:

Zazz: YOU'RE GOING HOME IN A BOX!
Zeena: Make me cry, you RUINED MY MAKEUP!
Zor: The reaper is the real winner in the end.
Zavok: You have to die now, interfering little hedgehog!
Eggman: There will be SOME collateral damage.
Yea, Some very dark lines are in the game.

- - - - - - - - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHKR2QLDtRA

Best sonic music EVER! :D

Sky
November 19th, 2013, 14:32
Since Rex has left the Skybase, this thread will be locked.