PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Mapping Technique

LJ Sonic
November 16th, 2013, 11:39
I am going to make a new series of tutorials talking about some mapping stuffs relative to complex events and player / level interactions, or design details like FOF textures offset alignment.

I have a lot of techniques to explain, but I'll let the choice to members.
Please tell me what kind of mapping stuffs you wish me to explain in this tutorial, like a door that only opens if several switches get pressed, up/down/stop switch elevator, appearing/dissapearing things, crumbling FOFs that stands on the floor instead passing through it, and whatever you want else...

Tutorials will be all listed in this post, and I'll send a new message each time I post a new one.

First of all, we need some conventions to have efficient tutorials:
-Lines and linedefs are the same thing. It just depends on which map editor you're using. By the way, "linedef" means "line DEFinition".

-When I say "straight linedef", I mean "horizontal or vertical linedef".
-Sometimes I talk about "physical part" of a level or a sector. In this case I'm talking about the level itself, the part of the level that players can see where they can go in (unless if it's a wall of course). Physical parts of the level have their shape directly drawn in the map editor and have an invariable quantity of attributes (properties), like floor and ceilling height, textures, lightning level, special effects, tag,...
-A in-level sector is a sector that is a physical part of the level. More concretely, this is a normal sector.
-A control sector is a sector OUTSIDE THE MAP. This means it isn't a physical part of the level. Here the sector is just used as a way to keep extra informations used by the game for some purposes, like making a moving platform, water, platforms, events, visual effects, etc...

What is a FOF ?
Unlike it is usually said, FOF isn't always the equivalence of platform in 2D games.
And, unlike it is usually said, there is only one type of FOF.

Here is one of the fundamental secrets of the most powerful mapping techniques in srb2.

Coming soon

I'll start by explaining how to change the background music when a player enters a specific sector.
The easier way is to change the music only for the triggering player (the player who walked in the sector), however it can equally affect every players in the level or in a specific part of the level. In all these cases, I'll assume you made the "physical" part of the sector. Linedefs and lines are the same thing. When I say "straight", I mean "horizontal or vertical".

Triggering player only:
1) Set the triggering sector effect to 64 and give it a new tag (unused of course).
2) Make a control sector.
3) Choose one of its linedefs and give it the tag of step 1, then set its action to 300, or 302 if the music must change only the first time the player comes.
4) Choose another of its straight linedefs, then set its action to 413 (you can eventually change flags to add some effects, check the srb2wiki for that).
5) Still on the same linedef, move one of the vertices to make the linedef having its lenght equal to the tunes (music) number you want to play.

All players:
In progress

Specific part of the level:
Coming soon

Colby
November 16th, 2013, 17:10
For the moment, I'd like to see a simple Music Changer tutorial please.

CyanakiBlizkana
November 16th, 2013, 18:02
Well, I'd love to get new tricks for mapping... Although, I might have a guide of my own someday... For mapping most preferably, when I learn EVERYTHING there is to mapping. Maybe if 2.1 comes out, the gimicks there would maybe enhance? I don't know... But I would have my own tutorial for mappers... Someday, Someday...

LJ Sonic
November 16th, 2013, 18:16
A Music Changer? Just use the linedef action 413 if the music must changes only for the triggering player.
If you want to change the music for everyone, use an invisible and intangible FOF with a tag of 65535. You can even change the music for every player in a specific place.

I will post my first tutorial soon to explain how to do this.

Colby
November 16th, 2013, 18:25
Please do, I understand the Linedef action 413 portion, but I'm still a little confused about the rest from there. And yes, 1 player at a time will be fine, but if you could explain both methods, that would be great!

LJ Sonic
November 16th, 2013, 20:14
That was my intention.

I'm still a little confused about the rest from there
You are probably talking about linedefs executors in general.
I think I should make a tutorial explaining the bases of FOF and interactions in srb2.

- - - - - - - - - -

I made the first part of the tutorial, talking about the player-only effect.

Gen
November 16th, 2013, 20:15
If you can make videos, they'll be great. BlitzSonicCraig has video tutorials on youtube and they're more helpful imo.

LJ Sonic
November 16th, 2013, 21:08
But I am going to make tutorials on very advanced concepts that was probably never explained in tutorials.
Sorry I don't think I'll have time (and willing) to make videos.
However I'll try to put pictures to explain some complex passages.

Colby
November 16th, 2013, 23:00
Also, just a tiny thing to note; perhaps you could put each tutorial in separate spoiler box, so the post doesn't become so huge by the time you have more complete tutorials.

LJ Sonic
November 16th, 2013, 23:13
Ho yeah you are very right.
I should have done that before.
Thank for this excellent idea !

Colby
November 16th, 2013, 23:21
Followed the Music Tutorial, this was my result LINK (http://www.mediafire.com/download/mijkfmzpb17t3sz/music_tutorial.wad). Feel free to use these LJ Sonic, if you want to do something in the tutorial like "This should be your result: LINK"

Ors
November 21st, 2013, 14:42
If you are really so skilled with mapping tecnicues, can you tell me how to get moving or rotitng polyobject work. The wiki tutorials are broken.

LJ Sonic
November 23rd, 2013, 17:32
Broken ? Are you sure ? :D

http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/PolyObject_tutorial

By the way I just want to specify that my aim in this tutorial isn't to teach you how to create a map, you have the wiki and a lot of useful tutorials for that.
But srb2 is lacking tutorials about many interesting things, especially about interactive effects. Most of the people don't even know it is possible to make a door that opens once you pressed a determined quantity of buttons, an elevator that checks that everyone left a room before raising, a switch that activate or desactivate the effect of another switch, or even an event that appends only if you draw the right pattern on a floor touchscreen.
That's for this reason I'll try to explain some of these concepts.

Lat'
November 24th, 2013, 19:01
I like how you explain these tutorials.
It's more easier than the wiki ^^

LJ Sonic
November 24th, 2013, 22:03
Sorry I had no time to make a new tutorial this week-end.
Because of school, I can only use internet during the week-ends, so I'll try to make a new tutorial each week.

Lat'
November 25th, 2013, 09:04
Sorry I had no time to make a new tutorial this week-end.
Because of school, I can only use internet during the week-ends, so I'll try to make a new tutorial each week.

Cool!

MetalFighter
November 26th, 2013, 07:56
It's very nice that you're creating tutorials that are simple to understand. Though I do recommend that you add some of these to the Srb2 Wiki for the rest of the Community to see. It would benefit the entire Srb2 Community if you do so.