PDA

View Full Version : My computer fan doesn't work?

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 11:50
Yes it's a big problem!
My fan doesn't work and my pc is very hot!
I was looking for a speed option for my fan in my BIOS but there's nothing :/

6258 6259

All informations are on screenshots.... Help pls!

Colby
December 1st, 2013, 14:27
1. When did it stop working?
2. Are you able to take the computer apart, or have a parent do that?
3. When the fan on my Wii stopped working, I put a desk fan next to it on high, and it kept it cool, but I'm unsure of how this could work for a computer.

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 14:35
Erm, It stopped working yesterday because of... I don't know. I downloaded speedfan to run my fan faster, but it doesnt work with portable PC.
Then, I lauch SRB2 on my server to play DarkDreams with LJ Sonic, and my pc suddently shutdown. It was too hot. I reboot it and I see the fan has stopped working. My CPU is actyally at 90*Celcius (very hot, 100 is the limit of reboot)
And I am not able to acces the fan without have to take off all the USB port, and the CD lector.
For a PC, there are specific fans, but there are just here to HELP THE OTHER FAN(s), So, if my fan isn't running, it can't help. And a desk fan is too high to keep my pc cool.

Colby
December 1st, 2013, 14:37
Sounds like this download could be the source of your problem, have you tried to a "system restore" to a time before you downloaded it?

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 14:42
Oh good idea you've got there!
How long does it takes? 3 hours?
I looked for it and it will make my computer back to the 24/11/13 (November 24th)

Colby
December 1st, 2013, 14:48
I've restored my laptop multiple times, and I can say this; the reboot process will take some time, anywhere from a few minutes, to an hour or two. As for the date chosen, just go for whatever is most recent before the download (which appears to be the 24th), but don't worry to much about actual files, this restore will change things you might have installed (like this fan thing), so no need to worry if you just got a new wad and don't want to lose it.

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 14:51
Blargh, the only wad I don't want to lose is FloralCove but my friend has it. So I'll can redownload it :3.
I let my computer in charge to avoid a hot shutdown during the restoration process. (I don't know what will happen to my PC if it shutdowns....)

Colby
December 1st, 2013, 15:02
-You won't lose personal files, so your wad should be fine
-Good luck to you, hopefully this works.

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 15:07
I don't know what I'll do if my fan doesn't boot after this restoration...
Blargh, I will do it now.

TaskBarR
December 1st, 2013, 16:48
Ive had some fan problems before.
It went on for about a year before I said 'screw it' and went to a new computer.

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 17:05
I think it worked, after 2 mins of restoration and 35 mins of battery in charge during using the computer, it isn't (so) hot.
Thanks ShadowCM! But let this topic often if evetually my laptop restart to be hot.

Critical Dude
December 1st, 2013, 18:28
Just a suggestion but you could try running your computer in "safe mode" (that's only if it's Windows and if it has a safe mode).

Ors
December 1st, 2013, 19:37
You don't have to use fan! I have had almost the same problem. I solved it by taking cold vegetables on computer from freezer.

Lat'
December 1st, 2013, 20:15
You don't have to use fan! I have had almost the same problem. I solved it by taking cold vegetables on computer from freezer.

Seriously...? My fan works my pc didn't have any problem, thanks SCM and thanks to everyone for the help!

Ors
December 1st, 2013, 20:28
That's glad to hear. Actually my vegetables helped just 10 minutes.

Jasper the Fox
December 2nd, 2013, 01:24
Have you tried cleaning the fan? Most problems involving overheating is due to dirt getting clogged in there. Try vacuuming it and see what that'll do.

Lat'
December 2nd, 2013, 07:44
That's glad to hear. Actually my vegetables helped just 10 minutes.

I think you can also try to cook eggs :awesome:

Have you tried cleaning the fan? Most problems involving overheating is due to dirt getting clogged in there. Try vacuuming it and see what that'll do.

The only problem is, if I want to acces my fan, I have to take off all the elements of my pc (USB ports, CD lector...) and I don't really want to broke it ^^'

Ors
December 2nd, 2013, 15:18
No! You can break it if the computer is easy to fix. I've had to do the same thing, but father did much more than me because I was wild 10-year-old. Now I'm wild and 14 old.

Lat'
December 8th, 2013, 09:17
Yes, it's terrible!
When I boot my pc, my fan isn't working, it shows here my fan is dead... My computer easyly reaches 90*C (~190F) in approxymatly... 30 minutes (without lauch any game, just by launch Firefox)
I think it's something due to the dust/alimentation but I don't want to break my laptop because, you know, to acces the fan, I have to take off all USB ports, CD lector...
I think I will use the cash that I'll get for christmas to buy a new laptop (and not my WiiU...)

Anyone have suggestions for me if I want a new laptop?
I just want a laptop that can run srb2 without lag (err... too easy to found) and also Sonic Generations, Sonic And All Star Racing Transformed and Sonic 4 ep.II

Ors
December 8th, 2013, 09:21
If I'd have to choose between laptop and WiiU, I'd pick laptop.

Lat'
December 8th, 2013, 09:23
Yeah, me too of course.
Anyways, is there a good low-cost computer that can run the game I mentionned in my last post without reach 90*C(~180F)

Ors
December 8th, 2013, 09:28
Good computer for SRB2: 300€-500€
Explosion simulator: 1200€-1500€

Lat'
December 8th, 2013, 09:31
Errr... I think I'll just pick the computer for srb2 ^^'
I also remember I bought my actual laptop for 400 Euros, and it was able to run Sonic Gens without so much lag (except in Chemical Plant)...

Colby
December 8th, 2013, 15:34
I found a couple of useful sites thanks to Google:

LINK1 (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/laptops-between-300-and-400-euros): NOTE: I personally would recommend avoiding the Toshiba Laptops on this list, because 1: they are the cheapest price for a reason, and 2: Toshiba does not make durable and quality products.

LINK2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100006740%204018%204021&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=intel%20core&name=%24500%20-%20%24750&PropertyCodeValue=2923%3a18470): NOTE: Newegg is mostly used when you are looking for a very specific model, but you can try to play with the search box to see what you can find. They normally have great prices compared to other websites, and I have personally never had a problem with any of their products, and neither have my friends. Once you find a model you like, try to find the model on Newegg as well, you might save a good amount of money. And yes it is currently set to US Dollars, I'm not entirely sure how to change that for Newegg yet.

LINK3 (http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/laptops/top-laptops-25-best-laptops-in-the-world-706673): This is a multipage article which is a supposed "guide" to finding a computer, you don't really need it, but you can read it if you want.

Also, overall, you might wanna take the "requirements" list from games like Sonic Gens, and Sonic Racing Transformed and compare them to different computers you find.

Lat'
December 8th, 2013, 16:43
I'll check these things later...
The only problems are my parents, they won't let me bought a new laptop without reasons (Because I didn't tell that my fan is dead, otherwise, they punish me without apparent reason)

Colby
December 8th, 2013, 17:26
I can relate to parents that can be a pain, my suggestion is to try saying how the computer is old, and falling apart on it's own, also try to drag school issues into it, after all "How am I supposed to do my best at school, when my computer can't even do what everyone else's computers can?" ;)

Lat'
December 11th, 2013, 14:40
And I'll maybe show them what Razer Game Booster say about the temperatures. I'll start with my mother because she won't punish me for a computer, but she will just say: "How many times have I tell you it's because you play too muche with your computer...".
And anyways, if I buy the laptop with MY cash, it will not be annoying for her.
The idea of "When my computer can't even do what everyone else's computers can?" is a good idea!

- - - - - - - - - -

Okay I tell the problem to my father, and he wasn't so angry...
He said we will check this out this afternoon. I hope the problem is just from dust/voltage...

Critical Dude
December 11th, 2013, 15:20
I'll start with my mother because she won't punish me for a computer, but she will just say: "How many times have I tell you it's because you play too much with your computer..."
Lol, your not the only to be told that. (My mother only says that when I play too much Megaman Legends on an emulator.)

Colby
December 11th, 2013, 21:27
Okay I tell the problem to my father, and he wasn't so angry...
He said we will check this out this afternoon. I hope the problem is just from dust/voltage...

Did you day your current computer is an XP? Anyway, my point being (as someone who has driven computers to the point of physically falling apart before buying a new one), eventually the software won't work so well anymore with current versions of certain programs. Overall I hope that you can fix your fan problem with cleaning it for now, but I'd still try to see what can be done about getting something for X-mas. And remember, the key words in most of the "I need a new [Insert Thing Here]" conversations should almost always try to include the words "It can help me for school, and school work so I can work better with less hassle" if possible, that tends to lean some parents more towards it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also I understand budget can also be a problem for some people, so don't try to force a new computer onto them too much if you can at least work with your current PC for some time.

Lat'
December 14th, 2013, 15:13
Well best new ever!!!!!!
My fan is now fixed! It was stuck by..... 2 tons of dust! Now my pc never gets over 60°C(~140F I think)
The biggest temperature I had was during the "stresstest" with Sonic Generations. It was a 65°C(~150F I think) but it doesn't get over.

Colby
December 14th, 2013, 16:21
Glad to hear it! With that I suppose I'll lock this, considering the problem is solved.