PDA

View Full Version : Wii, DS & DSi online termination!

Critical Dude
March 2nd, 2014, 16:16
If you own a DS/DSi or a Wii and you like playing games online then you are in for some bad news as the Nintendo will be discontinuing the online services for those consoles as of May 20th, 2014. This will be very upsetting if you are a Mario Kart DS/Wii fan, a Pokémon Black/White or Black2/White2 fan or a Super Smash Bros Brawl fan.
Link to source about the online termination: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Wii/Setup-amp-Connect/Termination-of-Nintendo-Wi-Fi-Connection/Termination-of-Nintendo-Wi-Fi-Connection-859609.html
Furthermore the link should also show what games are affected.

Colby
March 2nd, 2014, 17:10
There goes my Sonic Riders: ZG online play idea; literally the one thing that made me want to buy a new copy of that game.
So basically, (once more people have computers that can handle Dolphin better), doesn't that just mean more popularity to Dolphin Emulators? Especially for the MP now.

KitsuneFreak
March 2nd, 2014, 18:47
I find this hilarious.

Critical Dude
March 2nd, 2014, 19:53
Also there's a rumour that says there's a DS emulator (desmume) that can get access to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection through an access point called SoftAP and with a special firmware, allowing them to interact with real DS consoles but not with other users of the same interface. Nintendo may have found that and decided to discontinue the Wi-Fi services."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Well like I said at the start of this year, "Crappy New Year" kids!
(Note: I do not own a DS/DSi or a Wii so I am not affected. However I still feel sorry for others who are to suffer from this unfortunate dilemma.)

TaskBarR
March 2nd, 2014, 22:09
Out with the old, in with the new. It's about time they did this, maybe people will actually go out and buy their new consoles now. Smart, Nintendo! Why can't you always think that way?

KitsuneFreak
March 3rd, 2014, 02:22
Out with the old, in with the new. It's about time they did this, maybe people will actually go out and buy their new consoles now. Smart, Nintendo! Why can't you always think that way?

Do you not understand not everyone can afford to get one?

TaskBarR
March 3rd, 2014, 03:25
Do you not understand not everyone can afford to get one?

I understand that, I'm talking about the people who CAN afford them, but stay with the old ones because 'new things sucks.'

Colby
March 3rd, 2014, 13:54
I understand that, I'm talking about the people who CAN afford them, but stay with the old ones because 'new things sucks.'
So basically you, Mr "I have no money" of all people are on the hype train for saying "screw you poor kids, it's a rich man's world, and you HAVE to buy the newest thing to do anything cool!" There is a clear contradiction in your argument because of that fact. I would think you (claiming to have no money and all), would show some compassion towards people who (like TTA said), have no money for this. I remember friends of mine who had parents work for months on end just to give their kids (my friends younger brothers and sisters) a Wii just last year, are you saying that this machine, merely 3 months old deserves to be shitcanned because you think everyone NEEDS to buy the new console?

Also, this entire concept as a whole is what makes the PC master gaming race, the true master gaming race.

Kods4
March 3rd, 2014, 14:34
So basically you, Mr "I have no money" of all people are on the hype train for saying "screw you poor kids, it's a rich man's world, and you HAVE to buy the newest thing to do anything cool!" There is a clear contradiction in your argument because of that fact. I would think you (claiming to have no money and all), would show some compassion towards people who (like TTA said), have no money for this. I remember friends of mine who had parents work for months on end just to give their kids (my friends younger brothers and sisters) a Wii just last year, are you saying that this machine, merely 3 months old deserves to be shitcanned because you think everyone NEEDS to buy the new console?

Also, this entire concept as a whole is what makes the PC master gaming race, the true master gaming race.

I was about to make a post almost exactly like this, but now screw it.

TaskBarR
March 3rd, 2014, 17:01

1. I never said anything along those lines, maybe you should re-read peoples's posts before you jump to conclusions, my dear friend.
2. I AM showing compassion, I think it is kinda sad people can't afford the things they want.
3. My god, why does nobody understand me when I clearly made my point? I'm talking about the people that have enough money to afford a console, but stick with the older one because the 'Wii U sucks' or '3DS is just DS with 3D, let's not buy it.'

Kods4
March 3rd, 2014, 17:56
Has it ever crossed your mind that some people might not just be interested in those consoles, Rex (serious question)?

TaskBarR
March 3rd, 2014, 18:10
Has it ever crossed your mind that some people might not just be interested in those consoles, Rex (serious question)?

Yes it has. Those are the people I'm talking about. Nintendo is disabling online services for older consoles so they (and the fans) can focus on the Wii U and 3DS.

Kods4
March 3rd, 2014, 18:24
Yes it has. Those are the people I'm talking about. Nintendo is disabling online services for older consoles so they (and the fans) can focus on the Wii U and 3DS.

That wasn't what I was referring to. I meant the people that are just uninterested in buying them, regardless of them being new or not.

Lat'
March 3rd, 2014, 18:40
That wasn't what I was referring to. I meant the people that are just uninterested in buying them, regardless of them being new or not.

And what about the people who can't buy them because of the expensive prices like it is the case in France? WiiU = ~300 euros, 3DS ~150 euros, 2DS 119.99 euros.

Of course, I don't exactly know the price in UK or in USA but I'm pretty sure this is a bit the same thing.
Nintendo is shutting down the WFC for two reasons:

1st: To have more servers for 3DS and WiiU, better connection ect.
2nd: To have more money, obviously.

Critical Dude
March 3rd, 2014, 20:44
1. I never said anything along those lines, maybe you should re-read peoples's posts before you jump to conclusions, my dear friend.
2. I AM showing compassion, I think it is kinda sad people can't afford the things they want.
3. My god, why does nobody understand me when I clearly made my point? I'm talking about the people that have enough money to afford a console, but stick with the older one because the 'Wii U sucks' or '3DS is just DS with 3D, let's not buy it.'
1) It was interpreted differently by us that you meant what ShadowCM quoted from you.
2) It did not look like you showed compassion at first.
3) Because you need to re-word you're posts or "think before you type".

And what about the people who can't buy them because of the expensive prices like it is the case in France? WiiU = ~300 euros, 3DS ~150 euros, 2DS 119.99 euros.
Of course, I don't exactly know the price in UK or in USA but I'm pretty sure this is a bit the same thing.
Much cheaper in the UK: 2DS = £100 (if second hand then it may go down to £90), 3DS = £120 - £85, Wii U = £279 - £145. Note, this also depends on the stores that you buy them from as I got my 3ds for £100 pounds.

Kods4
March 3rd, 2014, 20:52

I'm one of those, spent 2 years saving up for a 3DS (with some delays for other games).
The prices here in Portugal are:
WiiU -> 399,99€
3DS XL -> 229,99€
3DS -> 189,99€
2DS -> 159,99€

Consider yourself in luck, my fellow European mate.

Lat'
March 3rd, 2014, 20:59
How the hell could it be so much expensive?? O_o

TaskBarR
March 3rd, 2014, 21:02
So apparently before I can have an opinion on this site I have to 'think before I type?'
That's really hilarious, I'm laughing so hard. Basically you guys are telling me I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
I did fucking think before I typed, and I meant what I typed. What's your problem with differing opinions, Skybase?

Kods4
March 3rd, 2014, 21:16
So apparently before I can have an opinion on this site I have to 'think before I type?'
That's really hilarious, I'm laughing so hard. Basically you guys are telling me I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
I did fucking think before I typed, and I meant what I typed. What's your problem with differing opinions, Skybase?

Woooow, chill a little will ya?
No one here is telling you not to express your opinion, no need to use foul language.
Opinions are opinions, love 'em or hate 'em, that's just the way the world works.

mazefire3609
March 3rd, 2014, 21:39
Also there's a rumour that says there's a DS emulator (desmume) that can get access to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection through an access point called SoftAP and with a special firmware, allowing them to interact with real DS consoles but not with other users of the same interface. Nintendo may have find that and decided to discontinue the Wi-Fi services."
Well like I said at the start of this year, "Crappy New Year" kids!
(Note: I do not own a DS/DSi or a Wii so I am not affected. However I still feel sorry for others who are to suffer from this unfortunate dilemma.)
What Steel told me is that you need to use the ETHERNET for online play in DeSmuME.

Critical Dude
March 3rd, 2014, 21:43
I'm one of those, spent 2 years saving up for a 3DS (with some delays for other games).
The prices here in Portugal are:
WiiU -> 399,99€
3DS XL -> 229,99€
3DS -> 189,99€
2DS -> 159,99€

Consider yourself in luck, my fellow European mate.
Damn... I only had to spent one year. Damn you have it bad but now the problem is the 3ds being in stock at your local store. There must be another solution to this we'll discuss this in the VM or on osu!

No I'm telling you to think properly before "type" (I meant post a comment by the way): think what the other person's reaction might be to you're post and if it may be offensive to them. You can have an opinion but do not be a jerk or a snob about it as no one here really likes it, stop twisting our words as well to make it look like we're saying/implying bad things. The problem is not Skybase in this context it's you. As far as I know you are being simple minded yet again and not taking other peoples feelings into consideration.

TaskBarR
March 3rd, 2014, 22:04
Damn... I only had to spent one year. Damn you have it bad but now the problem is the 3ds being in stock at your local store. There must be another solution to this we'll discuss this in the VM or on osu!

No I'm telling you to think properly before "type" (I meant post a comment by the way): think what the other person's reaction might be to you're post and if it may be offensive to them. You can have an opinion but do not be a jerk or a snob about it as no one here really likes it, stop twisting our words as well to make it look like we're saying/implying bad things. The problem is not Skybase in this context it's you. As far as I know you are being simple minded yet again and not taking other peoples feelings into consideration.

Well we go through this same procedure every single time I make an opinion.

1. I make opinion.
2. You guys are all like 'REX NO THIS IS WHY UR WRONG' (Insert reasons why I'm wrong checklist)
3. I retaliate by saying 'Guis its mah opinnnnionn'
4. You guys go 'shame on u rex u simple mindid amrican beest u will nevr be smart
5. Infraction.

And I'm NOT being a jerk! People are saying my opinion is wrong and I'm wrong for saying it, and I'm defending my point. Sometimes you have to be agressive to get your point across because people just don't get it!
*sigh*
This happens every time.

Critical Dude
March 3rd, 2014, 22:46
1. I make opinion.
2. You guys are all like 'REX NO THIS IS WHY UR WRONG' (Insert reasons why I'm wrong checklist)
3. I retaliate by saying 'Guis its mah opinnnnionn'
4. You guys go 'shame on u rex u simple mindid amrican beest u will nevr be smart
5. Infraction.
This really doesn't make much sense especially points "2." and "4." as those points seem exaggerated. I admit there was a time were everyone did do something wrong that was related with the point "2." in the shoutbox but that was a month ago I think.

And I'm NOT being a jerk! People are saying my opinion is wrong and I'm wrong for saying it, and I'm defending my point.
Jerk was probably the wrong word for me to use but what I meant was that you can post but not in a arrogant way that offends others.

Sometimes you have to be aggressive to get your point across because people just don't get it!
I have no clue what you're on about here, there was no need to be aggressive at all and being aggressive in this context would only cause more trouble (e.g. when I said the "jerk" thing in an earlier post).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I'm going to stop here because this is just frustrating and I think that this thread is way off-topic so we need to get back on track.

mazefire3609
March 4th, 2014, 12:54
It's still sad about the online terminations though. No PokeGTS nor TRADES either for Pokemon. :c

Lat'
March 4th, 2014, 13:18
It's still sad about the online terminations though. No PokeGTS nor TRADES either for Pokemon. :c

For pokemon games this is really sad too because I don't know if we will still be able to send them to the Pokemon Bank, maybe yes because we have to pay to use it, so I think we shouldn't worry about trade, if you can transfer pokemons in X and Y, then we'll still be able to trade. If you haven't this game for now, (like me) better buy it to transfer all your pokemons because we are sure that this possible until May.

SomariTheAdventurer
March 4th, 2014, 16:19
I do not support this. There are many people, including me, that still play Mario Kart Wii and SSBB online. I play SSBB more than anything else, so I am pretty upset about the news. Who knows how long we'll have to wait until Smash 4 gets a release. Plus that leaves us with the the very very few Wii U titles with online play, which forces me to buy Mario Kart 8.

TaskBarR
March 4th, 2014, 19:30
I do not support this. There are many people, including me, that still play Mario Kart Wii and SSBB online. I play SSBB more than anything else, so I am pretty upset about the news. Who knows how long we'll have to wait until Smash 4 gets a release. Plus that leaves us with the the very very few Wii U titles with online play, which forces me to buy Mario Kart 8.

Or if you have a 3DS, you can get 7 which is the best in the series so far.

Critical Dude
March 4th, 2014, 20:20
Or if you have a 3DS, you can get 7 which is the best in the series so far.
OFFTOPIC: Still need to verse you on that.
ONTOPIC: If the rumour that I posted was true, would it really mean that some emulators are to blame for this?

Lat'
March 4th, 2014, 20:44
OFFTOPIC: Still need to verse you on that.
ONTOPIC: If the rumour that I posted was true, would it really mean that some emulators are to blame for this?

What you said is actually true: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

But note that the WiiWare and the DSi Ware are unaffected for now.

Critical Dude
March 4th, 2014, 21:59
What you said is actually true: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

But note that the WiiWare and the DSi Ware are unaffected for now.
That's not what I meant -_- I never even said that that was the rumour...
I meant this:

Also there's a rumour that says there's a DS emulator (desmume) that can get access to Nintendo Wi-Fi connection through an access point called SoftAP and with a special firmware, allowing them to interact with real DS consoles but not with other users of the same interface. Nintendo may have found that and decided to discontinue the Wi-Fi services."
What if this is true?

Lat'
March 4th, 2014, 22:51
What if this is true?

Actually, I was on the NSMBHD, a site where we can find tons of New super mario bros DS hacks, by some posts that I had read, this is effectvely possible to connect to the Wi-fi with this emulator.But if they had discovered it, they would not have down the CWF for all that, This emulator would just have ended as Megaupload, I think.

Colby
March 5th, 2014, 01:16
What if this is true?
It is possible, after all the last 3 wii updates "4.0-4.3" were supposedly made for the sole purpose of trying to brick Wii's with homebrew on them (according to a few Homebrew sites I've seen. So overall, this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did something simply just to combat the "evil hackers" that use stuff like emulators to their advantage.

TaskBarR
March 5th, 2014, 01:59
It is possible, after all the last 3 wii updates "4.0-4.3" were supposedly made for the sole purpose of trying to brick Wii's with homebrew on them (according to a few Homebrew sites I've seen. So overall, this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did something simply just to combat the "evil hackers" that use stuff like emulators to their advantage.

I'm not evil. T_T
Actually, before I got my Wii U, I jailbroke my Wii on the last update. So their 'hacker-proof updates' didn't do shit.

Critical Dude
March 5th, 2014, 15:17
I'm not evil. T_T
Actually, before I got my Wii U, I jailbroke my Wii on the last update. So their 'hacker-proof updates' didn't do shit.
What you did there isn't ~evil~ but ~illegal~ :D ~It rhymes~

TaskBarR
March 5th, 2014, 22:52
What you did there isn't ~evil~ but ~illegal~ :D ~It rhymes~

It's not illegal unless you use it for piracy, which I didn't. Technically once you own a device you can do whatever you want to it, no law can stop that.

Demnyx Onyxfur
March 6th, 2014, 00:27
Hey, I hacked my wii to play Gamecube and Wii games via my external hard drive. No one in my house cares. And it's not illegal unless you download games you've never bought.

Colby
March 6th, 2014, 00:51
Love that loophole, I often hear of some people buying a console game just to download the PC iso of it later XD

Steel Titanium
March 6th, 2014, 02:13
Such a waste of money... If your gonna be a console just to download PC games, don't buy it at all then.

Demnyx Onyxfur
March 6th, 2014, 02:40
Some people's computers cant handle Gamecube or Wii games, so (if they're smart) they would get a Wii and hack it, like I did, in order to play the games they want. NES, SNES, N64 (kinda), PS1 (kinda), Gamecube, or Wii games.

Critical Dude
March 6th, 2014, 11:28
It's not illegal unless you use it for piracy, which I didn't. Technically once you own a device you can do whatever you want to it, no law can stop that.

Hey, I hacked my wii to play Gamecube and Wii games via my external hard drive. No one in my house cares. And it's not illegal unless you download games you've never bought.
Oh I get it now, thanks guys! I had the wrong interpretation after all...