PDA

View Full Version : Is SRB2 even fun anymore?

SegTindog
July 4th, 2014, 21:40
So since 2.1 was release SRB2 hasn't been the same anymore no ones barely play the game and I have TBH gotten tired of the game too.

So is there a point for this website to be named after the game?
Should the name be changed?
Or is there any way to keep SRB2 more exciting for all?

Potatosack
July 4th, 2014, 23:49
Go to the Main message boards :P
You'll see.

Lat'
July 5th, 2014, 08:10
The problem with SRB2 is the lack of actually fun servers. I'd like to host but since I live in France, people have really high ping on my server, which makes it extremely frustrating. The problem is also that the map rotation is fastly done in 1P.

Xkower8181
July 5th, 2014, 11:58
The problem with SRB2 is the lack of actually fun servers. I'd like to host but since I live in France, people have really high ping on my server, which makes it extremely frustrating. The problem is also that the map rotation is fastly done in 1P.
I live in Poland and France to Poland is one country left so i probolly din't get so high ping.

- - - - - - - - - -

But i still think that SRB2 is fun because always you can mess with wads and make fun with them.

Lat'
July 5th, 2014, 12:30
I live in Poland and France to Poland is one country left so i probolly din't get so high ping.
Then I would suggest to have a try.

Fennekin
July 5th, 2014, 14:16
SRB2 is plenty fun, they just need better dedicated servers that don't stay on CTF the entire time. Although they have the best ping rate most of the time and they're literally almost ALWAYS online, no one goes on them and they stay barren and empty. Sonic Team Jr needs to simply turn that around, or no one will go on them and stay on the regular server. They also need to rewrite the netcode badly. Although the version I first played was 2.1.8, LJ Sonic played older, and showed me in a server we both played on that a lot of the things in 2.1.8 were worse than the older versions, like having re-syncs instead of consistency. If they want to basically save this game, they need to do a lot.

SegTindog
July 5th, 2014, 18:11
SRB2 is plenty fun, they just need better dedicated servers that don't stay on CTF the entire time. Although they have the best ping rate most of the time and they're literally almost ALWAYS online, no one goes on them and they stay barren and empty. Sonic Team Jr needs to simply turn that around, or no one will go on them and stay on the regular server. They also need to rewrite the netcode badly. Although the version I first played was 2.1.8, LJ Sonic played older, and showed me in a server we both played on that a lot of the things in 2.1.8 were worse than the older versions, like having re-syncs instead of consistency. If they want to basically save this game, they need to do a lot.
I seriously agree with you especially the resyncs every time a person joins my server the game resyncs the joined players and unsuccessfully the game kicks the players out over and over again!
Also many other options doesn't work in 2.1 as well like cheats, whenever I set the option to respawn item boxes the game never does that also the setlives/setrings cheat doesn't work unless you're in single player so it makes no sense I thought 2.1 was suppose to make SRB2 better but it made crap worse.

Colby
July 6th, 2014, 14:54
So since 2.1 was release SRB2 hasn't been the same anymore no ones barely play the game and I have TBH gotten tired of the game too.

So is there a point for this website to be named after the game?
Should the name be changed?

1. Actually there are still plenty of people that play SRB2, I still meet new players almost every time I play as well as getting to play with many of the players I have met in the past.

2. The forum was originated about SRB2, but the homepage clearly states

This place was originally built as a Sonic Robo Blast 2 fan community, but it has evolved into a community for more than just that!

Meaning obviously that although it was originally meant for SRB2, it has become more than just that, and the name has no reason to change in the first place, since Sonic Robo Blast 2 is still a big part of the forum here.

3. Finding excitement in something is something that you have to do and try to put effort in, you can't expect your own emotion of excitement to be handed to you. I personally like SRB2 still because I still have many people who want to play with but many other players could differ because everyone has their own reasoning.

Xkower8181
July 6th, 2014, 20:38
1. Actually there are still plenty of people that play SRB2, I still meet new players almost every time I play as well as getting to play with many of the players I have met in the past.

2. The forum was originated about SRB2, but the homepage clearly states

Meaning obviously that although it was originally meant for SRB2, it has become more than just that, and the name has no reason to change in the first place, since Sonic Robo Blast 2 is still a big part of the forum here.

3. Finding excitement in something is something that you have to do and try to put effort in, you can't expect your own emotion of excitement to be handed to you. I personally like SRB2 still because I still have many people who want to play with but many other players could differ because everyone has their own reasoning.

I agreed with you ShadowCM SRB2 forever will be the one of main topics at Skybase.

Critical Dude
July 6th, 2014, 21:29
Idk make a mod?

Wolfy
July 7th, 2014, 09:24
...Or you could wait a few weeks/possibly months for more stable netcode, 2.1.9 Lua additions that I myself have been contributing to, and demos of the two Kart Krew mods along with some other neat surprises?

KitsuneFreak
July 12th, 2014, 01:15
It's obvious that waiting would be best since it is going to take time to get the game working like how 2.0.7 was, can't forget that 2.1 did have many additions which means more bugs and such that need to be worked out.

Flower the Sunflower
July 12th, 2014, 18:00
I can't make servers, because I can't port forward. I am pretty sure alot of us can't port forward.

KitsuneFreak
July 12th, 2014, 19:08
I can't make servers, because I can't port forward. I am pretty sure alot of us can't port forward.
You sure you aren't doing it wrong? I thought I couldn't host anymore but a close friend of mine helped me become able to port forward SRB2 after years of not being able to host anymore.

Xkower8181
July 12th, 2014, 22:58
I also can't port forward because i was on normal user instead of admin and also my router is a router that can't port forward!

Colby
July 13th, 2014, 18:18
Most port forwarding issues are either lack of admin, or lack of experience, I've seen those most often.

Zhire'El
July 14th, 2014, 03:52
I can port forward juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.

Blaze_The_Cat_SRB2
July 21st, 2014, 13:41
I've tried port forwarding a lot, and still doesn't work. I didn't get it. I think it's because I'm attempting to host on a laptop instead of a computer desktop. So.... Yeah. I can't host because of that reason.

Also my suggestion for making SRB2 better... You know, everypony has their own likes and ideas. So I'm going to say my likes for SRB2, Make it more like TF2. EXAMPLE: Using Rings as health and a certain item in item boxes for ammo.

Maybe I'm playing TF2 too much. :hmm:

KitsuneFreak
July 21st, 2014, 20:46
I've tried port forwarding a lot, and still doesn't work. I didn't get it. I think it's because I'm attempting to host on a laptop instead of a computer desktop. So.... Yeah. I can't host because of that reason.

Also my suggestion for making SRB2 better... You know, everypony has their own likes and ideas. So I'm going to say my likes for SRB2, Make it more like TF2. EXAMPLE: Using Rings as health and a certain item in item boxes for ammo.

Maybe I'm playing TF2 too much. :hmm:

Hosting on a laptop shouldn't have anything to do with it, I host on a laptop and it works just fine.

Djt3chn0len
July 26th, 2014, 17:20
Check again mate I'm even seeing old friends now all srb2 needs is a little work on its netcode and ill at least meet the criteria of 2.0's netcode... just minus the c-fails.

MetalFighter
August 2nd, 2014, 22:28
For some older players (not saying all) Srb2 has grown to be kind of boring. For a lot of my online friends, we tend to host servers privately, won't be naming anyone in particular though, hah.

These days I rarely join Srb2 servers mainly because of the instability with netgames, that and a lot of unpleasing people. I certainly don't play on servers as much as I did a few years ago.

Ors
August 2nd, 2014, 23:16
SRB2 is still fun for me because I like making maps. When I finish Heaven Askend 2 for New Horizons, I'll continue a crazy map called AntiLand. Time attack is also fun in other people's mods if I'm not the only time-attacker.
-EDIT-
About the port forwarding and hosting, I'm not able to do it because my network has a wrong NAT type. It can be changed sometimes but some routers (like mine crappy one) don't allow it.

Demnyx Onyxfur
August 3rd, 2014, 01:34
I always play it from time to time, usually after looking around the MB at the new WADs.