PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Runners

Sky
February 20th, 2015, 00:51
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150203033353/sonic/images/6/62/RunnersLogo.png

http://sonicrunners.sega-net.com/images/en/img_cap_04_l.jpg

http://sonicrunners.sega-net.com/images/en/img_cap_01_l.jpg

http://sonicrunners.sega-net.com/images/en/img_cap_03_l.jpg

http://sonicrunners.sega-net.com/images/en/img_player_sonic_02_l.jpg

Sonic Runners is by Sonic Team of Japan.

Sonic Boom was SEGA of America.

Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump (Fever) was SEGA of Europe.

This is a completely different development team.

Just putting that out there.

Let's move on to the highlights!

For mobile devices (iPhone, Android, etc.)
Not yet announced for the west yet
Spring 2015 release date for Japan (since this is mobile you can probably get the app from another source)
Free with in-app purchases (not illegal to download from another source as it's free)
50 levels
Sweet rolling physics as it seems from the gameplay trailer below
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and more playable
Sonic and co. are sporting more classic looks than ever before
Auto-running
Power-ups and companions, including Wisps, Chao, and Chip!
Story mode
Around 1-2 minute stages
Lost World themed stages

What do you all think? I personally think it's pretty cool looking. Let's get running! :hurry:

Here's the gameplay trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gomajS9M1aI

http://sonicrunners.sega-net.com/en/index.html

Demnyx Onyxfur
February 20th, 2015, 01:41
So... Sonic Advance 4? They should really make a game like this for handhelds. I'd definitely get this if my phone could handle it.

SegTindog
February 20th, 2015, 02:26
So... Sonic Advance 4? They should really make a game like this for handhelds. I'd definitely get this if my phone could handle it.What kind of phone do you have?
Also I think its nice Sega is going to focus on Mobile gaming I just hope it won't be all endless runner and jumper games I hope someday there will be a fully 3D sonic games specifically for Android/iOS.

I'm also excited for this game as well because it will give me something else to play besides Sonic Dash a total battery drainer and it just got completely boring after the first 2 months of playing hopefully this will keep me entertained until AC:Identity comes out!

KitsuneFreak
February 20th, 2015, 02:27
It it just me or does sonic look more..uh..Classic. Still looks like it'll be fun overall anyways.

Lat'
February 20th, 2015, 07:40
I like the characters look in this one, it's almost like they realized that they had to get back to sprites.
I hope my shitty phone can handle it... (If it can handle Sonic 4 ep II, I guess it can do it there too.)

Xkower8181
February 20th, 2015, 12:43
Only thing i want is gotta go fast meme easter egg XD

Colby
February 20th, 2015, 13:52
I know already if/when this game comes westward, I'll get it, but I am still disappointed that SEGA's Mascot and main money maker has been reduced to nothing more than a mobile game as his "main game" now

TaskBarR
February 20th, 2015, 17:40
Now that I've seen screenshots and gameplay, I guess it looks pretty fun? It would be a fun little time waster.

Critical Dude
February 20th, 2015, 23:36
If Espio is in this then, I'll get it!

I'll get it! I'll get it! I'll get it! I'll get it! I'll get it! I'll get it!

TaskBarR
February 26th, 2015, 19:41
I figured I would post a ton of information from what I've seen playing the game so far.
(BEWARE, THERE IS A LOT OF TEXT HERE. ;_; )

The game softlaunched yesterday, and I managed to get it by switching my account to a different region. (It's not out in the US App Store yet.) The game is an endless runner, you have to pick up rings and little gems to collect points. Destroying enemies and doing other things also earns you points. You need a certain number of points to progress, and if you don't have enough, you can just play another randomly generated stage to net you enough.

There is an Eggman miniboss after you reach a certain point in the level. The boss lasts for about 20-30 seconds, hitting Eggman drops a ton of rings which you can collect for points. (And for the sake of having rings.) After Eggman leaves, the level speeds up. This keeps repeating until you die.

After you collect enough points, you face Eggman in a true boss battle. There are several gimmicks that are used in each Boss Battle, that you need to manipulate in order to deal damage.

You can level up your character with rings, which raises stats and the time limit for items. There are also little partners you can hatch by going to a roulette, which aid you during the level.

Sonic can triple jump and spin dash when he reaches his top speed, Tails can fly several times in midair, and I don't know about Knuckles yet, since I haven't unlocked him.

There are also three wisps, Drill, Void, and Laser. They do the same things they do in Sonic Lost World.

- - - - - - - - - -

More info!

The story is very basic, with little episodes that show the small adventures Sonic and the crew have, constantly stopping Eggman's plans. Certain characters excel on a certain typed level. Sonic excels on grass type stages, and Tails excels in Sky Levels. (Which are just reskinned grass levels, really.) and Knuckles has his own scenery advantage too, but I haven't unlocked him yet to find out.

Another little bit of info on the partner system. On the roulette, there are several eggs which can be chosen by the spinner. The white eggs are common partners, sometimes uncommon. The grayed out eggs do something, I haven't figured out what yet. And landing on a Gold Egg gives you a special partner like Chip or Caliburn that help greatly in the levels.

The game starts getting harder by giving you less points in the levels, and requiring more to get to Eggman. There is a lives counter, like in many free to play games, however you can usually beat an episode before it runs out. After you clear an episode, the lives counter reverts to 5. There's been only once so far that I ran out and had to stop playing for a bit.

The levels also have two paths, one above, and one below. The upper path is usually harder to take, but can usually be accessed with a triple jump or Tails's fly. The upper path has a lot of skill involved, you have to bounce off enemies and use the character's abilities to earn the most points possible.
Another interesting note is that the game doesn't have sound effects for collecting points, rings, or killing enemies. I assume they'll be added later.

There are also Red Rings. You can get them by clearing levels, or from beating up Eggman. These Red Rings will allow you to continue after you die, or if you have a lot of them, spin the roulette without collecting Chao eggs first. I currently have around 120 Red Rings. They're really generous with them. A lot of them came from the softlaunch celebration gifts.

More information will come when I progress further.

SegTindog
February 28th, 2015, 03:32
The tutorial is annoying every second a window pops up telling you something but everything else afterwards if okay, the game seems very fun though.

TaskBarR
February 28th, 2015, 04:00
The tutorial is annoying every second a window pops up telling you something but everything else afterwards if okay, the game seems very fun though.

It's not that bad, and it's only for the first level or two. Honestly I appreciate the tutorial instead of just throwing you into the game like some games do.

Xader
March 1st, 2015, 10:12
wow,wait a minute i want to ask all of you did you guys played or still playing sonic dash or sonic jump fever,i do.

Phantom-Blade
March 1st, 2015, 17:34
Err, "Mobile devices"? Does this include IPod Touch?

Demnyx Onyxfur
March 1st, 2015, 19:26
Yes. I believe it's on iOS and Android.

Critical Dude
March 2nd, 2015, 23:32
Should I get it? Or should it get me?

SegTindog
March 9th, 2015, 23:56
I hate that you need internet to play the game though, it just reminds me of how gameloft does the same crap and that makes me want to uninstall the app.

Xkower8181
March 11th, 2015, 12:23
I hate that you need internet to play the game though, it just reminds me of how gameloft does the same crap and that makes me want to uninstall the app.
It pisses me off too but i think Sega will do a offline mode like Sonic Jump Fever had.

Lat'
March 11th, 2015, 14:29
Well I never made it farther than the title screen with my phone; once it finishes to download content, the screen turns black... and stays so.
Anyway I thought this game would be a good timewaster for those 10 mins break we have at school but if it even requires internet to be launched... Seriously, who gives a crap about online ranking and all?!

SegTindog
March 11th, 2015, 20:23
Well I never made it farther than the title screen with my phone; once it finishes to download content, the screen turns black... and stays so.
Anyway I thought this game would be a good timewaster for those 10 mins break we have at school but if it even requires internet to be launched... Seriously, who gives a crap about online ranking and all?!
Its playable for me except there's no sound playing so I decided to delete the app and wait until the official U.S release.

Sylpheed Hedgehog
March 11th, 2015, 23:44
This game gets annoying at times regarding the damn, un-avoidable missiles when you reach the third speed cap.

Sky
March 12th, 2015, 17:12
Its playable for me except there's no sound playing so I decided to delete the app and wait until the official U.S release.Have you tried enabling the Streamlined mode in the game settings?

SegTindog
March 13th, 2015, 00:07
Have you tried enabling the Streamlined mode in the game settings?
Not at all why what does that do?

Sky
March 13th, 2015, 17:37
Not at all why what does that do?It tells you if you actually try it yourself.

It runs the game in a different mode to lighten the processing power required, which might fix the sound issue you're having.

SegTindog
March 19th, 2015, 20:26
It tells you if you actually try it yourself.

It runs the game in a different mode to lighten the processing power required, which might fix the sound issue you're having.

Well I guess its no problem no more the 1.0.1 update apparently fixes this issue it feels good to hear how the game sounds like, now Im just waiting for those Mod APKs to come out.

Xader
March 25th, 2015, 13:43
I think it's a great game if I
could get that game probably
wait and look at pictures of this
game may benefit.

Colby
March 31st, 2019, 23:00
I've recently heard about attempts at a revival for this game, I haven't looked into it myself, but here's a source link for those who may care: https://twitter.com/RevivalSonic

Basic Bronze Sonic
October 29th, 2020, 08:22
5 years later and now everyone is crying because this game is now no longer playable alongside Sega heroes
TLDR- why Sega, why can't you just make your good mobile games be playable offline