PDA

View Full Version : [Level Pack] The Emerald Isles for 2.1

Duon Adventurer
April 5th, 2015, 03:25
The Emerald Isles, also what I like to call: "Sonic 3 And Knuckles: The Emerald Isles"

This mod was originally made by Kuja, who has moved on from this old level pack from 2.0. This Level pack handles differently than any other mod in SRB2.

The main goal is to obtain all 7 Chaos Emeralds by exploring through 6 other levels and beating the bosses. You will be spawned in Kuja's "scrapped" hub world, where you can choose one of the six stages. You can go after the special stages in the levels, which are MUCH MORE HARDER THAN IT SEEMS. There are also rewards like the ability to access the six special stages, as well as one I cannot spoil ;) There is also a race stage and a Match Stage for those that aren't in the mood for co-op.

Thanks to Kuja for the permission to port this mod.
Thanks to 'Lat' for the AMT Crawlas.
Thanks to Xkower8181 for the EMT Crawla Boss.

Update: AMT Crawlas are beginning to invade some of the levels! They are now replacing the simple blue Crawlas. An unknown robot has appeared amongst the robots of Shale Village!

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/veg13t9rppf6zjp/scr_TheEmeraldIsles.wad?dl=1)TheEmeraldIsles.wad (https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1lqtc6pc6ton5x/scr_TheEmeraldIsles.rar?dl=1)

Demnyx Onyxfur
April 5th, 2015, 21:48
I love this update! The hub is kind of empty to me, but it works well. Welcome to releases!

Xader
April 5th, 2015, 22:21
a level i like it but cant you put it in zip or rar because 26.4mb is a little big.

Duon Adventurer
April 6th, 2015, 00:52
If uploading large files here wasn't such a nightmare, I would use a rar...

Colby
April 6th, 2015, 13:53
1. Like suggested above, try to compress the file in WinZIP or WinRAR if possible.

2. Upload a couple screenshots

Xader
April 7th, 2015, 09:36
great from 26.4MB to 14.1MB and the screenshots look awesome gotta try this,
and theris also a match and race maps,and the AMT and EMT are good too so now it should be hard.

Demnyx Onyxfur
April 8th, 2015, 20:07
I like the concept of the Special Stages. Is there a way to keep the special stages like that without getting the emerald when you get the required ring count?

Duon Adventurer
April 8th, 2015, 21:48
Originally, the special stages required you to get the amount, come up to the door with the required ring amount, wait for the door to open, nab the emerald, and then quit and move on, but because these special stage exits cannot be changed, I just instead made it a classic 2.0 stage and just grab the emerald. I could set the amount to the amount of rings in the special stages, but meh... I'm not sure. Also these special stages were way too punishing to make the core mission of the mod easy.

Lat'
April 9th, 2015, 06:27
...You know what?~
This morning, instead of going to Steam, clicking Team Fortress 2, and getting a 20> killstreak with my Sentry, I'm gonna play this, because of memories.
Also we must stop AMT Crawlas before they reach their TRUE POWER! (Actually, they lost it, they were able to snipe you from REALLY far and were firing missiles every 0,5 second.)

EDIT: So far so good, I still enjoyed Blaze Canyon 2 as much as I did back in 2.0
Now about the emerald system, you should make emerald checks in your HUB world, making some levels accesible only with x emeralds collected, even if that would require a bit of Lua. Also, remove the "transitions" at the end of bosses level, just make the level end normally, because this looks akward to be teleported back to the HUB when you finish the level in a Blaze Canyon-ish section.
I promise I'm finishing this for this afternoon (After doing THINGS with Sylveon, for sure.).

Duon Adventurer
April 9th, 2015, 08:24
Thanks for the response!, although I'm really going to need help with handling the emerald checks, that being said, the reason the exit transitions were left behind were because I need a place to hide the emeralds. And I am horrible at editing levels...

Also sorry about playing the latest version, because the mod has just gotten an update! Truly, the most of the changes were to polish a few things, and new pictures will be uploaded to support the new changes.

Lat'
April 9th, 2015, 17:06
Alright, as I promised, I finally got through it after some progress to SRB2MD.
...SO!
As you asked in the PM, I will try to do my possible to understand HOW works the LUA_EMER thing because I haven't yet, and I think I'll help fixing some issues in levels too.

About what was in the rest of the game, I really liked the difficulty added by my AMT crawlas They're so cut- (Shit Sylphie heard that...), this makes the levels much more enjoyable and sometimes frustrating. However, you should try to remove some robots, especially AMTs, as they replace Blue Crawlas, they're scattered everywhere, and having a bunch in front of you makes it like being an Engineer in front of an enemy Level2 Sentry. I also didn't really like having to fight the same Metal Sonic over, and over again, maybe you could try to use the one that came with New Horizons 1.0, it has a different attack pattern and is easier (Would fit first zones.) I'll also be here if you need a boss that does specific things, this will avoid having regular eggmobiles and Metal Sanics everywhere.
Talking about Metal Sonic, the EIZ one is broken, it doesn't attack. You forgot the gather things.
And to close things about bosses, the EMT Crawla seems a bit easy for a boss in an advanced zone such a SVZ, maybe it could be a miniboss or something? Or maybe make it do more stronger moves instead of the tiny baby green missile.

Anyway, I wish you luck with all of this, if you need help, I'll be here for the whole afternoon tomorrow (At least by French hours :P) and obviously for the week end.

EDIT: Also, in the "new" Aquatic Labyrinth act 2, you've set Blue Crawla to things 2040 instead of 4020, as I played on the previous version, you may have already fixed this, but just to make sure that you're aware, I prefer saying it.

Duon Adventurer
April 9th, 2015, 20:54
Okay, to clear a few points. Metal Sonic in EIZ was intentionally made to be Easy. I purposely didn't add the points because that would make the boss really frustrating. Also, I have noticed that, and I may have to remove a few another time, but not now. And oh s***, I didn't realize the things were wrong... (That what I get for not playing in the laggy first act.) Also, maybe its just my skills with playing this boss or something, but that boss is a little difficult, but to be fair its only one. I could've used your Giant Brown Crawla boss... But it was getting on my nerves when I tried to put it in a level. I'll starts working on some of the needed changes. (Also, if you have any unique suggestions for a better first boss than a half-assed Metal Sonic, please PM me for a response [I will not accept Eggmobile though]) Thanks for the review! I'll try to make the mod feel a little better than it is.

Lat'
April 19th, 2015, 19:55
Mooncrap! Is this already dead? :C
...I promise I'll try to do something revelant for this next weekend. (Unless SOMEONE murders me before.)
If ya have a boss idea, feel free to ask me to do it, this will help me to not get bo- *falls and bleeds*

Duon Adventurer
April 19th, 2015, 20:08
Well, its not actually dead, just on hiatus as of now. Due to personal issues, I can't excessively work on this mod. I am making plans to replace some of the bosses like Twilight Pass' boss. But I'm trying my best not to duplicate bosses. Also, for a boss idea, I would like to see if there can be an EASY boss that isn't the eggmobile, and could fit well in Emerald Isles Zone. Also, the next major update will be on the MB. But its not planned to be checked out till April 25, 2015.

Xkower8181
May 5th, 2015, 21:31
WAIT WAT SOMEBODY USED MY BOSS?!?!
Yay! (ps. you have permission ok)

Lat'
May 5th, 2015, 22:44
I was surprised to see my AMT either, don't worry.

Duon Adventurer
May 8th, 2015, 00:32
Okay, so the judges never actually released the mod yet. It wasn't rejected, but was just never touched. The major update is still going to be on the MB, I just don't know when... (But if you are too anxious, you could always get it from my site.)

Lat'
May 8th, 2015, 07:12
Joodges sometimes take a whole week to decide to even release something, don't worry.

Xkower8181
May 19th, 2015, 20:10
Joodges sometimes take a whole week to decide to even release something, don't worry.
Yeah just like my EMT Crawla was waiting forever to get judged

Lat'
May 20th, 2015, 06:08
The thing with TEI 2.1 at the MB is that's it's here since 3 Weeks (I believe) waiting for its release.
Same goes for my Sylveon which is waiting since 5 days, while some wads are getting released the day they're posted.

Duon Adventurer
May 24th, 2015, 17:54
Welp. It happened. The mod is now released on the MB. I will update this thread as soon as I get a PC to work on.

Lat'
May 24th, 2015, 18:39
Welp. It happened. The mod is now released on the MB. I will update this thread as soon as I get a PC to work on.

Welp, it's also getting destroyed up there. XD

Duon Adventurer
May 24th, 2015, 21:16
Sometimes I regret being in that community, and this is why. Anyways, TEI will get a true ported version soon.

Colby
May 29th, 2015, 21:32
Your projects are always welcome here, as long as nothing has stolen content, or violates the other rules, you're golden.

Lat'
May 30th, 2015, 07:38
At least you tried giving us some different content, it just didn't work.
But it may just be because all of this was badly introduced to the player. For instance, replacing blue crawlas with the AMT wasn't a good idea as they just spam projectiles. Same goes for Devil Sonic, I mean it's the thing that I get so much shame for ._.
...Okay it was in SRB2MD as an easter egg to warn people about The New Horizons reboot., but that's all.

Anyway, just making it a straight port will surely remove all the "hate" you've gotten from the MB, even tough there will not be anything upgraded compared to the 2.6 version. =/