PDA

View Full Version : SonicQuest (Beta 0.6 released!)

Wind
April 25th, 2011, 02:55
Hey guys and welcome to the official thread for SonicQuest.

Introduction:
SonicQuest was originally started by me somewhere around summer of 2009, back in the 1.09.4 days. Some of you may or may not know that I official announced that SonicQuest had been cancelled in late fall of 2010...

But guess what? IT'S BACK.

---

Screenshots at: http://wind.srb2skybase.org/images/

---
New Version out! (Beta v0.6) Here is what it has:

*3 match maps: Green Canyon Zone and Emerald Valley Zone, and South Island Zone
*2 CTF maps: Icicle Ridge Zone and Combat Coast Zone.
*SQCMDS Script which features the Easy character changes and view modes
*Super Sonic SOC (Made by Sky) Makes the super sonic transformation look nicer.
*Level select pictures have been imported
*Item placement redone in Icicle Ridge Zone
*Item placement redone in Combat Coast Zone
*Minor sector tweaks in Combat Coast Zone
*South Island has been imported
*Life icons have been changed
*Intermission time reduced

The Following bugs have been corrected:

*The crash that happens when a match ends has been rectified.
*Various Script bugs patched up
*Technical bug regarding the bustable walls in Combat Coast Zone has been fixed. (Hopefully)

The following has been removed:

*Custom title screen
*Custom item boxes
*Custom tunes

Additional Notes:

*MainCFG edited for new version
*Level select pictures are of different resolution compared to defualt lvl select pics. If you have problems, please let me know.

---

How to play:

1. Download the current version of the WAD (download link below)
2. Extract the zip onto your desktop
3. READ THE "READ ME"!!! It includes valuable info on the pack and how you can become a private beta tester
4. Put the MS-DOS Batch file and your copy of SonicQuest into your SRB2 folder
5. Double-click the MS-DOS file and play!

Side Note: It's not necessary to use the MS-DOS file but it does help to automatically add SonicQuest into SRB2. There is also a separate MS-DOS that launches OpenGL+SonicQuest now. (Beta v0.5)

---

Private Beta Testers:

dage4 EX
Wind
SRB2-Nick

---

Download:
CURRENT RELEASE: (Beta v0.5) - April 30th, 2011
http://wind.srb2skybase.org/files/sonicquest_beta06.zip

---

Visit the SonicQuest official website for information and regular updates!
http://wind.srb2skybase.org/sq/

MetalFighter
April 25th, 2011, 03:38
Not bad man not bad at all. I see you were using OpenGL when taking the pictures. I prefer software mode, but it still looks great. I'll download it and give any helpful criticism.

Wind
April 25th, 2011, 12:21
I see you were using OpenGL when taking the pictures.

Not even. I wasn't using OpenGL, I was just using a really high video resolution which probably made the images come out in high quality. :P

Sky
April 25th, 2011, 14:04
(For the love that is all and holy, wtf is with the image resizing on this forum? O.o)When you upload a image here, in the post, you need to click it and then it enlarges it.

dage4 EX
April 25th, 2011, 16:46
Now, before I start with my review, Can I be a beta tester for this? Anyways, lets get to the review.

Emerald Valley: 10/10
*dage4 EX explodes*
I got 3 words. GREAT, AWESOME, COOL!
I like how you did the map. Even if there's a red house (lol)
The looks of it. Everything is like a lake with lots of awesome. =P.

Moving on. Green Canyon: 9/10
Looks good so far. Maybe just try a better music. Edit some texture. So far, so good.
Even the water fall. =)

Icicle Ridge: 9/10
Sonic: WHY IS EVERYTHING IN ICE!
Tails: I don't know.
Thats because its AWESOME!
The ice look good. The music too. (Even thought its Sonic 3 music)
Maybe just try to make it harder.

Combat Coast: 10/10
Nice music you got there. The map's AWESOME. The layout is AWESOME. Everything is AWESOME. Even thought there are shortcuts.

TOTAL FOR BETA 1: 7.5/10
I really like this mod. Lots of things are AWESOME. Hope to see more in the future. Now. I'm out!

Wind
April 26th, 2011, 00:02
Thanks for the review dage. Glad to see you like it :D Also, Sky I inserted the images but when I try to re-size them they go back to the really small size the forum uses for images.

News Update:

From now on SonicQuest will be a SRB2 SkyBase exclusive MOD for precisely 1 week. After that it will be released on the official SRB2 MB. That goes on for every public release for SonicQuest. The new version releases on the SkyBase first for 1 week, then goes to the SRB2MB.
Also Guys, I need help finding some older versions of SonicQuest. If you have any of the listed versions, please don't hesitate to tell me.

SonicQuest Final Beta 2.3 - FOUND
SonicQuest Beta 2.2 - FOUND
SonicQuest Beta 2.1 - FOUND
SonicQuest Beta 2.0
SonicQuest Alpha Release
SonicQuest Beta 1 (1.09.4 only)

Wind
April 27th, 2011, 00:15
News Update:

The SonicQuest official website is now ONLINE. There you can find much more info on SonicQuest, find and download older versions and get Dedicated servers.

GO NOW: http://wind.srb2skybase.org/sq/

Sky
April 27th, 2011, 01:30
Here goes my review.

Match Levels
Nothing here, honestly. The CTF levels need improvement.

CTF Levels
Ice/Snow Level

The snow path needs to have some hazards, because it's faster so it needs some difficulty.
The ice water path needs the water to be changed to LWATER because it is ice cold, and that'll probably fit it better.
The first stair in the middle path needs to be lower, since the rest of the stairs you can climb in perfectly fine without jumping. If that's not your intention, then at least make the other ones only jumpable.
The ice in the middle path needs to have slipperyness.

Grassy Level

Scenery needs to be toned down quite a bit. There is way too much scenery items.
The red house is not necessary. Remove it, because it just doesn't fit that level.
Some part in the level has four rail ring ammo together. That's way too much ammo in one place. Remove them or just simply move them someplace else.

Wind
April 27th, 2011, 03:44
Grassy Level

Scenery needs to be toned down quite a bit. There is way too much scenery items.
The red house is not necessary. Remove it, because it just doesn't fit that level.
Some part in the level has four rail ring ammo together. That's way too much ammo in one place. Remove them or just simply move them someplace else.

Wait, what level are you talking about? There are like 3 "grassy" levels in the mod. And I'm not sure about the specific areas you're talking about unless you use the level's actual name...

Sky
April 28th, 2011, 01:05
The CTF one.

Wind
April 28th, 2011, 01:20
Okay, I'll take a look into the ammo situation but there are no houses in Combat Coast Zone CTF. Although you may be talking about Emerald Valley Zone Match, that map has 2 Red XVI houses as sector-based scenery.

Wind
April 28th, 2011, 02:08
News Update:

Thanks to dage4 EX for finding SonicQuest Alpha! You can download the older versions of SonicQuest from the site: http://wind.srb2skybase.org/sq/

Sky
April 29th, 2011, 00:11
Also, Sky I inserted the images but when I try to re-size them they go back to the really small size the forum uses for images.Oh, I had a resize plugin enabled. Try it now.

dage4 EX
May 1st, 2011, 00:53
Saw some more pictures of SonicQuest Multiplayer Pack

Wind
May 4th, 2011, 22:47
Beta v0.5 is out! (Completely forgot to release it)

So yeah Beta v0.5 is out. Contains some additional features.
Get it now. (http://wind.srb2skybase.org/sq/download/sonicquest_beta05.zip)

Also I'm going to be changing the title screen in next release. I'm not to fond of the fact that I'm ripping off a title screen from Sonic 2. :P I'm also aware there is a bug in software mode that when you finish the map, SRB2 crashes. It works fine in OpenGL mode. So I'm working on this also.

SonicFreak94
May 5th, 2011, 10:05
*sigh*
For the love of... (http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=706871&postcount=395)

It always leads back here, doesn't it?

Wind
May 6th, 2011, 03:01
Beta v0.6 released!

http://wind.srb2skybase.org/files/sonicquest_beta06.zip

Sky
May 6th, 2011, 22:08
From now on SonicQuest will be a SRB2 SkyBase exclusive MOD for precisely 1 week. After that it will be released on the official SRB2 MB.
That goes on for every public release for SonicQuest. The new version releases on the SkyBase first for 1 week, then goes to the SRB2MB.Just wondering, what happened to this little thing you said you would do?

Wind
May 9th, 2011, 23:14
Oh crap, I completely forgot about that.

Well I've currently stopped working on SonicQuest again, except this time I won't die off of SRB2. However I will resume work once I have motivation and I stop procrastinating. As well as when I get out of High School. (One month left of school for me! WOO)
Also I'll make up for the whole exclusivity thing, by doing this:

The next version of SonicQuest will only be released here at the SkyBase
The next beta (Private Beta v0.8.1) Will be avaliable for everyone to test here at the SkyBase only.

Wolfy
May 18th, 2011, 23:01
I'll beta test for you. I also have some ideas. I can put in some "Scripting magic" for you :P
EDIT: The text at the bottom-left of the menu saying the SQ beta version still says .05. I have made sure I used .06.

dage4 EX
August 9th, 2011, 17:03
This topic hasn't been updated in months. This is why I'm doing a review for Sonic Quest Beta v0.6

Green Canyon Zone: 9/10

Its still the same, looks the same and plays the same.

Emerald Valley Zone: 10/10

Again, its still the same, looks the same and plays the same.

South Island Zone: 8/10

I like how the water looks. I like the level design. And the idea of not trying to get into the water.

Icicle Ridge Zone: 9/10

Still the same, looks the same and plays the same

Combat Coast Zone: 10/10

Still the same, plays the same and looks the same.

TOTAL FOR BETA 6: 8.5/10
Nothing new this time but for 1 new zone. I like it.

Steel Titanium
August 9th, 2011, 17:13
I wonder when beta 0.7 will be out?

Wind
August 9th, 2011, 20:21
*sigh*

When I decide to get off my lazy ass and actually map a level...

Steel Titanium
August 10th, 2011, 16:57
Makes sense, mappers need a brake to.