PDA

View Full Version : [Script] Saturn's Drop Dash

Saturn Ross
July 28th, 2016, 04:18
After seeing the trailer for Sonic Mania, I noticed the neat new Drop Dash mechanic, and decided I'd recreate it for SRB2.

It is activated with Spin and can be aimed just like the Thok can, and you can also continue aiming the dash as you drop. Once you land, you will do a SpinDash-type maneuver which moves at just above your running speed.

There are two versions of the move:
SaturnsDropDash.lua, which, unlike the Drop Dash seen in the trailer, this version literally drops Sonic before he hits the ground, and SaturnsDropDashTrailerVer.lua, which as the title suggests, works just like the one in the Trailer.

I may also alter the speed of the dash if requested.

Known Bugs:
- Holding down Spin as you drop at a rope will cause you to pass through, however if you aren't holding Spin you'll grab it just fine.

1.0: First created and uploaded
1.1: Added DropDashTrailerVer.lua, added SFX
1.2: Altered names to not conflict with other possible scripts, added SFX, adjusted speed

Thanks to Duon the Adventurer for some assistance with the script, and to MotdSpork for the Sonic Lost World Bounce script, which I borrowed from.

Previews:

Sky
July 29th, 2016, 18:41
Welcome to modifications! This is quite a cool mechanic.

Duon Adventurer
July 31st, 2016, 02:56
Oh shit, I actually made sense?! This is amazing, I might use it on one of the characters from my site, or make a whole new entry there... And no problem for the advice, it was mostly blind knowledge of how it could be handled.

EDIT: So the drop dashes are really weak compared to the thok, it's a nice move, but because the thok is faster, you don't wanna use it in match. So I decided to add the player's maxdash to the mix... It's really strong. I guess this move gives recommendation to be used on a flat and comfortable surface, making it uncontrollable. I'll send it to the owner to see about this.

Mumu
August 6th, 2016, 02:49
I found a bug. When you're Super Sonic, You do the Drop Dash, then you Float instead. But, you are rolling but not spinning while you Fly! Maybe the Drop Dash Button should be the Custom 3 Button instead of the Spindash Button. If you change the Drop Dash button from Spindash to Custom 3, This bug wouldn't happen anymore, neither the Rope Bug.

Duon Adventurer
August 6th, 2016, 12:49
The official drop dash for Sonic Mania has confirmed it to be a jump move. I hate to take attention away from this release but observe Hatninja's Drop Dash Replacement lua, it does exactly what the drop dash should do in Sonic Mania.

As for the actual DROP, eh, don't really care that much about it sadly, mostly because its an alternative stomp mechanic that could've been used in a modern sonic game.