Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dance With The Shadows

Level

Dance With The Shadows

Hello, here is one of my beta wads, DanceWithShadows.wad.

I got the idea from Tails_Sanatorium.wad several months ago, and I loved it.
    I started in making another level in the same spirit: this is a scary place with a lot of odd things that will happend.

Of course it's currently not really scary but it is still interesting.
    I added some scary sounds from others wads, a lot of advanced lightning effects, papers with messages, blood lakes, parts of the ceilling falling, etc...
    The next releases will have more stuffs, please if you have any suggestion tell me.

If you have another idea for the wad, free to give it.
    The Dark Dream? Black Night? Haunted Corridors?

Get the wad here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ka...adows-beta.wad.
    I like making Lua scripts and mapping for srb2. Don't hesitate with asking help from me !
    Recent project:

Level
    Well, Could we get screenshots?

Level
    No :P
    I'll do this but I think screenshots won't be representative of the level since its real interest are the dynamic events.

srb20097.png srb20096.png

srb20099.png srb20101.png
    I like making Lua scripts and mapping for srb2. Don't hesitate with asking help from me !
    Recent project:

Level
    NOTE: Haven't played yet, still downloading WAD

If you want to go the a scary gimmick, Sonic Corp did an... ok... job of this (for a doom based pixel game anyway), so if haven't already, play that (It's for 1.09.4)

Level
    I recommend a few little jumpscares here and there to really add suspense. I don't mean like screamers, but maybe like this: you walk into a room and suddenly the Tails Doll appears for a few seconds then teleports away, and there's a sonic head in the corner.
    Kinda like that.
    But this looks great so far.

Level
    My aim is precisely to use a lot of jumpscares in the level.
    Rex The Fox's suggestion is interesting, however I think using Tails Doll one more time wouldn't be original, and this is the reason that made me adding tons of unexpectable events, like ennemies that appears behind you (with a Deton in a corridor it could be scary no?). I'm not sure of this, but when I started this level I had several ideas, especially inserting Sonic or Tails sprites without eyes on their face, standing in a corner when you enter a room... As I said there are a lot of messages that will contribute to the weighty ambience, such as "There are in the corners...".

This is a list of the stuffs I yet added:
    -A black-out on the beginning of the level: the light suddently crackles then turn out with an electrical sound, leaving the player alone in the darkness.
    -Odd messages on the floor and the sofa.
    -Scary sounds
    -Bloodstains, sometimes with a knifes near it.
    -Pieces of the ceilling that fall randomly when the player approach it, and kill him.
    -Ennemies appearing suddently from nowhere.
    -Random INVISIBLE attacks on ALL the players that follows a TD sound.
    -...and a lot of new things coming in the next releases.

If you want to go the a scary gimmick, Sonic Corp did an... ok... job of this (for a doom based pixel game anyway), so if haven't already, play that (It's for 1.09.4)
    Thank for this tip, ShadCM, but I tried "The Building" and found absolutely nothing scary in this wad...

I'll do this but I think screenshots won't be representative of the level since its real interest are the dynamic events.
    Please try this level when you have time, even if it's very short it contains a lot of interesting things that can't be described with pictures.
    Recent project:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ Sonic View Post
    snip.
    Sounds interesting! I'll have to trick my brother into playing it!

Level
    I felt the wad as it currently is a little bit disappointing. Is there an electric fiend chasing you? I heard the noise but never actually saw it and I did constantly get hit. Regardless I didn't find that getting randomly hurt with an unavoidable invisible attack was engaging but rather very annoying, especially when I was trying to explore just to randomly get beaned. I wasn't particularly willing to explore the area all that much either since the bleak hallways and rooms all look the same and I always ended up getting lost. I do find some of your ideas interesting such as the eyeless Sonic and Tails in the corners, but currently I don't feel like there's enough detail in any of the rooms to go looking for them. There isn't any drive to actually explore any of them. You could if you wanted just run through the main hallway and skip all of the rooms because there's nothing there that makes the player curious to see what's inside. A good example of better design is the water leaking out of that one room, I decided to follow it because it looked like something had happened there; and you could add things into a room to make it look completely different from another room so players can tell them apart when exploring the maze-like structure. All together, the experience is currently bland, but I'm sure you can implement your ideas to make it better than it currently is with some work.

dage4 EX Unregistered
    inb4 level pulls out a .exe on your face

This is actually a nice idea. Most maps are just the same thing. I really hope you have good luck doing this.

Level
    Who better to make this then our Skybase fof master LJ sonic, good luck. Now just to find the time to play/host with this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast