Thread: Cave Story

dage4 EX Unregistered

Cave Story

Lets see if we can get this moving

In the speedrunning world, there is Cave Story. People have been racing this game for a while now, and I was one of them. The basic scenario is that we play on the original japanese language, with japanese letterings, and not random words. To set this up on windows 7, go into control panel, clock, language, and region, region and language, admininistrative, and change system locale to Japanese. This makes some programs turn into japanese lettering, but most of the time, it will show in english for most programs, and will allow Cave Story to use these japanese letters. The reason that we do this, is because it saves about 5-6 minutes of text.

The category that I do is Best Ending, and Blade race. For blade race, we start our timers as soon as we press "new game" on the main menu, until we grab the blade itself. For best ending, we start our timers at new game again, until you see the scene after you deal the final blow to the best ending's boss

The current world record is 57:28 by magmapeach. It would be nice to get this going, seeing as there hasn't been another race in a while. A great video to learn more is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvC7BCcorg . Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Level
    I missed that run on ADGQ2014 cause of school, but I went back to watch it and the guy running it was using a SNES controller.

Husbando to a special kitty~♥

dage4 EX Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnyx Onyxwing View Post
    I missed that run on ADGQ2014 cause of school, but I went back to watch it and the guy running it was using a SNES controller.
    Speaking of controllers....

Some good controllers for speedrunning this game would be using an SNES controller with an adapter, or something like a Wii Classic Controller Pro with an adapter.

This one

With this one

This SNES Adapter

with this controller

Although prices may very, you can see if there's anything cheaper, and actually works. It honestly depends on how you feel about controllers in general.

Level
    I'd get something like that, but I have no idea if the Homebrew Channel's emulators are acceptable by emulator standards.

Husbando to a special kitty~♥

dage4 EX Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnyx Onyxwing View Post
    I'd get something like that, but I have no idea if the Homebrew Channel's emulators are acceptable by emulator standards.
    Me either. Cave Story doesn't seem to have any specific rules on SRL, so that may mean something. I think that the emulators aren't that good enough to run something like Cave Story at a good speed, but that's just me.

I would check, but I really don't have a SD Card to USB loader right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.