Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The casual servers, and what we have in general

Level

The casual servers, and what we have in general

This is a discussion I've wanted to have for a long time, but kept forgetting to post it until now. Pretty broad questions, so this thread could take multiple directions.

-Why did you stop playing SRB2? (I rarely see anyone here play it, so I'll ask that first)

-Why do you think people stopped using the Casual Server option, despite the fact most the servers at almost any hour fit the casual description?

-Will 2.1, or anything SRB2 related, make you want to start playing the game again?

I will address my first question quickly to say, I still try to play SRB2 when I can, but my internet physically won't let me play (took 5 minutes to load the server list the other day, much less for joining a game), so once I get better internet, I'll probably host a dedicated server or something.

Discuss

Where you live. It can be fictional, who cares.
    Level
    [*Placeholder - Will answer later, very good questions*]

Fun Fact: I actually dislike cats :]

That little country hidden on the left of Spain that no one cares about. a.k.a Portugal
    Level
    1) I played it too much for too long (About 2 years). I only played singleplayer though, multiplayer was too boring to me, I was never interested in entering an RP server with a bunch of people faking to be Sonic and Amy/Shadow having s** or in CTF/Match. Whenever I played it multiplayer it was co-op with friends.

2) Can't answer (see above for reason).

3) I'm confident 2.1 will spice up my interest in SRB2 again. Sonic Team Jr. you better not fail to deliver.

*le burp*

Level
    Casual servers died out. It's either simply hangout servers which can easily get boring fast especially if you are on Green Flower for like 20+ mins, other than that it's either Awful RP Servers or just Noob Friendly servers which I cannot stand.

2.1 is just hype. It'll get boring sooner or later no matter how much they add, Unless we get new levels and such it's gonna get boring like how 2.0.X got.

I stopped playing SRB2 mainly because alot of my friends had quit playing basically. I only play when certain people are hosting usually but other than that I have no reason to get on it at all.

Level
    I've actually been playing SRB2 quite a lot. Not too much on the multiplayer side, but on single player. I like exploring levels in map packs I haven't touched for an extreme amount of time and just remember the layout of them. Sometimes I might also look at Match maps just to see how well designed they are.

On multiplayer I have played Eggmanway5 a couple of times with friends. I also made a Jasper with decent soc actions to fit in there.

I'm not sure why people don't host in Casual. Personal preference to host in Standard or possibly to get people to notice their server immediately when they hit the multiplayer option since whenever you do so you're taken to Standard first.

2.1 will make me cry tears of joy. Mostly because of the increased freedom to do what you want with character wads (especially with Lua!). There's also room to put more than two sentences about your character in the game, which can help explain how a character works in more depth.

Level
    1. I make maps and do speedruns quietly. Actually I upload speedruns to YouTube, you just haven't seen them.

2. I can't host. My network doesn't allow it.

3. I think the mapping will be more fun in 2.1 and I can't wait LUA. But I HATE the stupid difficulty nerf news about single player levels...
    and you don't want to know what do I think about new special stages...

Level
    1. I don't really play SRB2 multiplayer at all nowadays, but I do still play singleplayer. Sometimes. And I still make SRB2 mods. Sometimes.

2. Again, don't really care that much for multiplayer.

3. If anything, I think it's gonna be the LUA mods for 2.1 that's going to grab my interest. And maybe the new special stages. Oh, what the hay. I'm definitely playing 2.1 whenever it comes out!

Level
    1. Multiplayer isn't the same as it used to be in 1.09.4 days. And it got boring after 2.0.4 was released.

2. Like I said above, Multiplayer died.

3.I'll play 2.1 to see the new features.

Level
    I forgot to tell another reason why you can't see that I play: My network is very laggy. Any server I join has 200-800 ping for me.

Where you live. It can be fictional, who cares.
    Level
    1) Here's what I told ShadowCM many months ago via PM: "SRB2 was a game that became quite addictive as I was always trying remake levels that had been made already (continuously thinking that the first level made is never as good as its remake). SRB2 was also very time consuming, even though I hardly played the game for fun in single player or a netgame, it was the modding, soccing and coding that were time consuming. I couldn't afford let SRB2 consume my time as I was starting college and the college assignments would require time and effort in order to complete them."

2) Not sure why however my guess is that most SRB2 players were already used to playing on the normal servers so they did not bother in trying casual servers.

3) 2.1 was appealing to me at first but then I got a new "console" so I forgot about it. Although other SRB2 things have made me think about what it would be like going back to it but then I remember the "time consuming" parts and I think "screw it!" so I end up not going back at all.

Extra note: My interest in Sonic is still pretty low (except for the Sonic Boom gameplay I saw, that drew my attention).

Fun Fact: I actually dislike cats :]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast