Thread: Disney's "Frozen" Review!

Level

Disney's "Frozen" Review!

That's right guys. I FINALLY figured something to post a thread about again and another review thread, without it being a video game this time! Don't worry, I'll might make another review that's a video game after this (NOTE: This may also contain spoilers of the plot itself, so be sure to read at your own risk!).

My review

Ah, Disney's Frozen...Which MAY seemed to be one of those typical Disney Princess movies at first, but when you watch it, it's actually more focused on sibling love than romance love, doesn't mean there's no romance because romance love is just less focused. I guess that's the only thing that distinguishes it from being one of those "typical" Disney Princess movie plots...But that doesn't mean they actually got away with it while there's still romance in there either, not that I have a problem with it, even though that kind of plot was overdone in almost EVERY Disney princess movie. So...Get ready for a wild ride in this critique, 'cause hopefully we don't Crash BANDICOOT'D this time!

The positives

So let's see, the good thing about this intro is the fact that the main cast has backstories, which so that way they aren't way too mysterious to understand, seeing as it gives them more development that way and not make them blank. I gotta say, it does get a little more depressing to the end before three years later happened even since Anna & Elsa's parents died. The reason for Elsa being isolated away from social contact with others makes sense.

The soundtrack is alright, but for the song "Let It Go"? Eh...I'll go over that later. Plus, of course, the characters starts even doing singalongs again, just like in almost every Disney movie that has characters singing/sing alongs or whatever the heck that is when the characters sing in the movie, from almost every 5 to 10 minutes from a scene that don't involve them singing, but uh...Yeah.

The box art seems to be the second best part of the movie. It gives us the feel that either Elsa or Anna are the main stars of the movie before we even watch it. And of course, the model art kind of thing? Looks cartoony closer to Wreck-It-Ralph. Which I love how it's like that. Even the graphics.

Oh yeah, let's not forget, this one plot twist where Prince Hans isn't REALLY in love with Anna, since I literally thought the movie was gonna be over in a very few minutes after that before this happened. So instead, we got someone else who we can easily assume who's actually her true love! Of course Prince Hans is the real bad guy of the movie.

And lastly, Anna & Elsa actually gain character growth in the near end of the movie, growing out of their problems already. Even Anna learning not to instantly fall in love with someone she just met right off the bat.

The negatives

This may have introduced backstories to the characters at the beginning, but doesn't mean they put much thought into it. First off, why and how does Elsa get her ice powers in the first place? I mean c'mon now Disney. Even that one Amazing Spiderman movie explained how Peter Parker got his powers AND become Spiderman in the first place! I wouldn't necessarily call it a backstory but whatever.

And what happened to Kristoff's family? Did they die or something? I'm not sure whether he's exactly an orphan from the start or not, but I guess adoption is the only way that make sense why he calls the trolls his "family" and the fact that the other troll in the beginning wants to keep him and his pet. Also Han's backstory is missing, since he's probably one of the main cast as well.

This is what I'd suggest to Disney right now: Make their backstories deep enough so they won't be any way mysterious, nor even partially mysterious. If a character has no backstory, then he/she has NO past, at all. It's one of those important things when you're making a character. Even most, if not literally everyone, from Fairy Tail, ALL have backstories. No kidding. That's one of the good parts about that anime.

Not sure if this another thing is necessarily a problem I find, but it's more meant to be a question about something I don't understand. Why do the characters STILL do singing or singalongs or still whatever the hell that is, in Disney movies? I just, got a feeling it's a little old to do that, even though it was overdone too, but what was the point of that? Was the idea of that ever even anyway relevant anymore?

Oh of course, my opinion on Frozen's "Let it go"? Ehh...There's REALLY not much for me to say about it rather than just thinking it's slightly cheesy, but giving that word a few more thoughts, it's probably not that accurate or so, since there's this mom parody and the one other news about what it taught us about mental illness, I guess I can probably EXCUSE it for being "cheesy".

About Olaf here...There's nothing much I can say about him than me feeling that there's something that's a little off about him. But that doesn't give me the right to hate a character entirely just because there are certain parts about what's not likeable about the character. I mean what's the point of liking a character if there's nothing to hate about it too? Or hating a character when there's nothing to like about it either? We all have our own "what we like and what we hate about it". Besides, there's no such thing as a character that has absolutely nothing likeable about it nor nothing unlikeable about it. Because that, what we find something called, "perfection". Or better words, a Mary Sue. But hey, lemme express this: Olaf's okay, alright? Alright. Let's move on.

And that one other thing that was supposed to be "another" plot twist or doubling up the one plot twist, I'm pretty sure Olaf don't REALLY need to point out that Kristoff is Anna's true love. We're already that smart enough to figure that right off the bat after Hans revealed that he isn't her true love, until our assumption about Kristoff and Anna comes true.

Alright so uh...There's one thing that I actually DO like to nitpick for a bit. I think I'll start with-What the hell is going on with the idea of "True love" to control Elsa's powers?! I mean what does love have anything to do with her powers, even having trouble controlling it at all? How the hell does this even work? This doesn't even make sense. Atleast giving her the gloves was acceptable, because think about Shadow from Sonic 06, or better example, Sonic X Meterex Saga. If he takes off his inhibitor rings, he'll exert out all his chaos energy into an immense power that can easily drain him out all the way until he wears his inhibitor rings again for restraint. The gloves on Elsa, however, the same logic until she learns how to control it. But why THIS logic with "love"? Is this how Disney was trying to set up a moral about the movie or something? If crying over someone who's frozen/hurt with concern can actually heal/get rid of the ice, then why didn't THAT work in the beginning of the movie in the first place? If true love can actually help Elsa control her powers, why didn't SHE get a boyfriend? All that love have anything to do, is just with Anna & Kristoff. That's it.

The rating

I'll certainly give this a 6/10. You wanna know the best part? That it takes place on snow. No kidding. Even this got some adventure feel to it too which is kinda fitting since "Frozen" is the title name of the movie after all. Yes, my favorite character so far is...Kristoff. Though he's still partially mysterious about whatever happened to his family. So let's see, did we Crash Bandicoot'd? Or did we survive? The answer is yes, we DID survive! I thank you very much for those who read this, but this is pretty much based off from my thoughts and opinions on this.
    I'm not gonna leave off a sneak peak of what next review I'm gonna make, since I have a lot to decide so...
    A Blue Hedgehog who runs at the speed of sound...
    A genderless Nightmaren who flies in Nightopia...
    A Shooting Star who flies around the Valdi System...
    A human boy who uses his legendary chicken suit...
    A Rudie skater who sprays Graffiti around the city...
    Together...They'll be unstoppable...

Level
    I sorta liked it. I get the feeling it was only made to sell dolls and merchandise though.

Level
    Well I haven't heard about any Disney's Frozen dolls and other merchandise being sold except the fact that there's a 3DS video game of it called, "Olaf's quest".

Level
    I just remembered this funny article relating to this movie. LINK

Level
    PFFFFTT. Oh dear god. I'm dying of laughter right now.

Level
    Rouge: "Just let it go!"

I saw this twice in one week

Husbando to a special kitty~♥

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnyx Onyxwing View Post
    Rouge: "Just let it go!"

I saw this twice in one week
    Rouge confirmed foreshadowing Frozen. No kidding. It sounds a lot like it's a foreshadow, I bet.