Thread: Yearly check-in

Level

Thumbs up Yearly check-in

God, it's been a while. How've y'all been? I couldn't remember my password for the official forums, and I can't be bothered to reset it. I wasn't sure whether or not I'd ever check in again, but here I am. I think SRB2 will always hold a special place in my heart as the game that occupied me through my angsty phases. I kind of miss making .txt scripts to add all of the wads I had on startup, or just chatting on an "RP" server of my own creation. (Now that I think about it, my "RP" servers that I had were more like chatrooms, huh?) I can never forget being a ban-happy host or an annoying forum kid. In fact, I remember staying up late sitting around, fermenting in the chat box of these forums. I shared a good 2-3 years with this game, so I figured there's no time like the present to check in and see how everyone's been doing. For reference, I played during 2011-2012, and that's as far back as I can remember.

First off, how active has the game itself been, player-wise? I remember there being a small cult of players who were on every day for a while, with players coming and going. Is that still the case, or is it just a few? Or maybe the game exploded and now there's MMO levels of players? I kind of doubt that. Still, it would be a shame if the community just kind of fizzled out. Looking at the forums, with most latest posts being from 2015, I would assume it's declined in popularity. Any new players? Any veterans that disappeared? It would be disheartening to hear the game is dead, but that's about what I expect coming into this in 2016.

Second, how much has the game itself changed? Any major updates? Any new wads? (thinking about it, I use the term "wad" exclusively to describe crumpled up pieces of wet paper nowadays)

And lastly, does anybody remember when I was around? I know Sky does, and I remember getting banned a few years back. Pretty sure Demnyx does, we played Smash 4 not too long ago. On the off chance that anybody like that is still around, go ahead and share your favorite memory you spent with me.

Since this is probably the last chance I'll get, I'll go over the origin of the name "Hypone."
    So my brother and I came across a little game known as SRB2, one of the few games that ran on our dinosaur of a desktop and absolutely falling in love. Or I did anyway. After doing some debug mode scavenger hunts for the emeralds with each other in the JTE mod, my brother had lost interest, and I decided it was time to go online. I had to come up with a screen name. I knew since it was a sonic game, I had to include some kind of sonic reference in there, but I didn't know how. I went with the most creative route possible and combined my name with a popular word in Sonic. These two words were Hyper and Noah, giving me Hypone. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And it was. The rest is history. I could probably write blogs upon blogs about the fun I had with this game and the shenanigans that took place, but honestly, who would care? I enjoyed my time here the best I could, and I'm happy with that. Actually, I remember a worryingly large amount of things, I could probably write novels.

I guess that's all I have to ask, so I'd better wrap things up. I'll try to check this thread for responses in the near future. If there are any other major developments I missed, I'd like to hear about it. If you have any interest in playing some Smash 4, go ahead and PM me. (I might not get back)

Nice checking in with you guys, and I hope y'all are having wonderful days.
    Do you remember me? I don't remember me. What was I like?

Level
    In terms of player activity, I think that netgame-wise, it's been kind of low. The Master Server has been unstable, so that might be one of the factors. In terms of general community activity (like modding and on the official forums), it's been fairly active, with Lua being a lifeline for SRB2's modding, along with the general character WADs and levels still popping up here and there.

The latest version for SRB2 right now is 2.1.14. There's been new WADs, but nothing godly or outstanding recently, other than some pretty innovative Lua mods.

In terms of development, 2.2 is the next major version in line...with slopes being in vanilla SRB2 and in official levels now along with a bunch of other cleanup and revamps to plenty of levels.

https://www.srb2.org/2016/02/2-2-preview-with-slopes/

Nice to see you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRB2
    <Mystyc Cheez> I ****ING QUIT
    Mystyc Cheez left the game
    <~Sky> Am I too awesome or something?
    <X\Wind> Why is everyone on red...
    <X\Wind> Is Sky that awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam
    20:48 - Sky: one does not simply ban him
    20:49 - Wind: we must gather the chaos emeralds and blast him