Thread: A Difference Between Coop and Single Player Levels

Level

A Difference Between Coop and Single Player Levels

During our time on Srb2 we are so used to calling levels like GFZ or THZ 'Coop' levels. In reality these levels are indeed Coop since we play them with more than just one player, especially in Multiplayer, however these levels do not deserve the name.

There is in fact a difference between Coop and Single Player. Other than the most obvious reason, which is Coop is for more than one player and SP is for only one, there is another difference.

Single Player levels, like the name describes, are levels with an exit that a single character can finish. Common examples of this are levels such as...well all of the SP levels in Srb2. Most of these levels have multiple ways to the exit that different characters can take and can finish without the help of other characters. This is what distinguishes SP from Coop.

Coop or Cooperation is a type of level that requires the skills of different characters to finish a level. Unlike SP, Cooperation levels can not be finished with a single character. Such levels require different characters and their skills to finish the level.

Here is simple situation of such a level. There are 3 people on a server playing a Coop level. There is a Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles player. As the players proceed they get to a ledge with a death pit beyond. The Knuckles player can just glide beyond and get to the other side. However, the Sonic player can not go on since the players' thok won't take him the distance necessary to get to the other side. Therefore, the Sonic player needs the Tails player to fly him over to make it to the other side. As they continue, they encounter a maze with death pits all over the ground. To their right there is a door that can only be opened by a switch. Neither the Sonic or Tails players can get to the switch which is located beyond the maze. The Knuckles player must use their gliding ability to get through the maze and to the switch for them to continue. The level goes on with situations like and unlike these throughout the whole level.

If you have different thoughts on this or are just looking to argue for no particular reason feel free to post them here.

Level
    I believe that all of the single player levels should be modified to accommodate coop mode. The coop versions of the levels would only appear in a multiplayer game.

Level
    Dear god, you read my mind like a book...
    If you can pull this off successfully, as successful as portal 2 co-op(well not THAT successful), you get admin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Lua (/ˈluːə/LOO-ə, from Portuguese: lua[ˈlu.(w)ɐ] meaning moon; explicitly not "LUA")
    Currently working on:
    HMS123311: Remastered - v1.2 Update
    SRB2 TopDown
    SRB2 Kart

Level
    I've been working on basic coop levels for quite some time now. I might release a more advanced one in the coming weeks...that is, if nothing goes wrong.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Colson View Post
    I believe that all of the single player levels should be modified to accommodate coop mode. The coop versions of the levels would only appear in a multiplayer game.
    I'm pretty sure you could do that. In SRB2, before the 2D mini-boss, there is a teleporter that appears there only in coop. I think that you could use that technique to make entire sections of the level appear only in coop.

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky The Destroyer View Post
    I'm pretty sure you could do that. In SRB2, before the 2D mini-boss, there is a teleporter that appears there only in coop. I think that you could use that technique to make entire sections of the level appear only in coop.
    The problem with this is that the teleportation gimmick doesn't fit simple levels like Greenflower or Castle Eggman. It would be weird to have teleport sectors in these levels is what I'm really saying. It doesn't really fit the theme of some levels in other words.

Level
    What I'm saying is, instead of a teleporter, you could put entire sections of the level appear.

dage4 EX Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky The Destroyer View Post
    What I'm saying is, instead of a teleporter, you could put entire sections of the level appear.
    So. Do you mean by putting levels together?

Level
    Project Mobius now includes my first ever Coop Wad. I made it pretty simple too, so it should not be so hard to move around and get to the exit.